Author Topic: How long has anyone waited for an allotment?  (Read 3055 times)

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
Re: How long has anyone waited for an allotment?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 22:03:40 »
I would defo investigate your local allotments and then enquire at your local council.  I got offered 2 after just 2 days!! Mind you bit bluming daunting when you do get offered one. I have just got mine and its huge. Luckily for me I have a very good friend who also likes gardening. so we are sharing a double plot which makes it a little less daunting!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 13:11:13 »
I waited over three years, and during that time I actually moved house, but fortunately in the same suburb so I am now closer to the site than where I was at the start! but I was a bit p***ed off when i got a plot because I then heard that some people had had theirs since I had been on the waiting list because they were friends of people that were on the site committee!!! Luckily someone then took over who was more honest and sorted out the unused plots and the waiting list.
I have to go down soon to pay my second year's inscription, so maybe I am no longer a newbie :D even though I am not sure I got more than a couple of kilo of veg all season  ::)
Oh well, next year will be better I am sure.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

sandra Riley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 21:39:08 »
We have just been allocated our allotment after 3 years wait !!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 00:46:39 »
Hi all, we finally got our key on Monday this week,its only been 2 1/2 years.
The thing i don't understand is why we have brambles and  grass stuff with roots as thick as my index finger when there have been no empty plots in all that time.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 07:31:34 »
littleladybirdlittleb,

because too many people are loath to give them up even though they have stopped cultivating them, and councils tend to be slow to do anything about it. The lower the rent the more likely people are to hang on to them. I reckon that 70%+ of plots on the sites where I have had a plot are in a bad state when they are eventually handed over.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal