Author Topic: new allotment  (Read 1205 times)

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
new allotment
« on: November 06, 2007, 21:01:35 »
Hi, just beg myself a new allotment.... thought it was a good idea at the time but each time i visit I get more daunted.  The plots been inactive for a while and as far as I can tell its just grass (thank the lord).  Not sure how or where to start.  Should i weed killer it..bit concerned about the time of year! or I've had the local farmer offer to rough plough it which would involve taking down the fence...Or should i rotivate it...so many options!!  I hear rotivating just chops up roots of any weeds but I don't intend to practice organic gardening straight away so couldn't I just spray in spring before planting if any weeds came back...any ideas?????? ???

Ps its quite a big one approx 126' by 26'
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 21:08:09 by flowergirl »

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
Re: new allotment
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 21:27:53 »
Congratulations on getting yourself a plot, it might be worth starting by printing off a poster saying "I am enjoying myself - honest"!!  My plot was only half the size of yours, and it took me the best part of six months to dig out by hand.

If it is mostly grass, the chances are it's a perennial grass like couch, which grows from underground stems, so rotivating or ploughing just tends to bury it (or plant it).  Those that grow back have then got lots of light and space, and nutrients from all the dead stuff.  They'll love you for it and prove it by growing like crazy.  There will also be lots of annual weed seeds as well, and they'lll grow once the light gets in. 

I think this is probably a case where weedkiller ( a glycophosphate one that kills roots as well) is probably justified.  You might want to think about getting some kind of weed mat to cover the ground once it is cleared, or else you'll be forever catching up on yourself.  You can use heavy duty black plastic, or some kind of spunbond cover.  It'll probably cost, but be worth it in the long run.

I'd definately get some ground cleared by hand as soon as possible though.  At least then you can get something in, even if only a few broad beans or onions.  At least then you'll have something growing you can look at to encourage you in the future.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 21:39:41 »
Flowergirl Congrats on your new lottie.
I think you have to either mentally or physically divide the plot into sections and tackle it piece by piece. It's a great time to get a new lottie as you can take your time with the clearing and weeding.
I also had the offer of having my new lottie rotavated but I chose to just dig it piece by piece to make sure all those couch roots and others came out. It has taken me three weeks to get to that stage and I have managed to do it by my self. The more people you can get to help you all the better.  ;D
From This Mess 8th October. I didn't even know the summer house/shed sat on a deck :o. Nice surprise though

View from the summer house/shed

After two days (10th October)

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 21:43:55 »
Hi flowergirl,

Firstly congrats on your lottie, secondly if your going the weedkill route dont spray until the grass is actively growing in spring and dont cover the plot straight away. (With plastic etc) As the herbicide is systemic and needs to be taken up by the roots.

I have just got my lottie too and I prefer the no dig way, I was going to cover the plot and kill the couch eventually that way.......BUT hubbly likes to dig, do dig we did and still doing :'( :'( :'(

Good luck FG, clearing a little bit to put SOMETHING in will give you incentive as silverbirch says. The positive affirmation poster is a really good idea too, and take lots of pictures to remind yourself of how it was! ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 21:46:13 »
Lauren....yours looks lovely, shows just what can be done. I found a little arbour with seat on mine.....under an overgrown hop ;D

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 21:48:21 »
I think if my plot was in as beautiful a location as Lauren's I'd never come home.

flowergirl

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 21:53:58 »
me too!!!!

I will take photo's this weekend and show the challenge ahead!
I have the vision of what i want, dont just want it to be a veggie garden, going to create a tranquil haven for flowers, BBQ and beer!! just seems a dream at the mo x

star

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 21:59:39 »
Hey.....dreams come true too..... ;)

Keep imagining your balmy summer evenings, you'll get there ;D

flowergirl

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 22:05:32 »
Fingers crossed x

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 09:08:58 »
hiya, flowergirl..glad you've got your spot of heaven..
have you made a plan, we made a paper one, marked it out with sticks and string..then we covered over the paths with heavy duty cardboard,
at the beginning, we covered the card with  compost bags cut in half then wood chip..that meant we didn't walk on the beds and could clear them one at a time..
also, as others have said, cover each part you clear until spring and get something growing in a little section , even if it's only onions, shalots and garlic..gives you hope  ;D
happy plotting, manics

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 10:03:19 »
Look forward to the pictures Flowergirl...
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal