Produce > Ponds 'n' Stuff

I've got Babies?

<< < (2/2)

Margaret:
Hi Dusty.Got your E mail,will reply soon.As to the question of saving fry.I brought mine in for two winters running and saved over 30 fish that way.Lovely to watch them grow,and of course,it does give them the best chance because they are not at risk from being eaten as a winter snack,succumbing to the cold,or not thriving through not putting on enough weight before the winter fast.

That is fine until you realise you cannot keep doing that unless you are going to set up a market stall selling excess fish!! So for the last 3 years i have resorted to "survival of the fittest" Some years i have more than others.When you only have a few then ,like you did the first year,I would recommend it.However,Stephen(who did you name him after?!!)will be fine now he's bigger.Probably the fish spawning late meant less places for the fry to hide.That is the time to save them,even the plants they have spawned on.If you look close you can see the eggs.Though there's no guarantee they will always be fertile.

By the way,ref your filter.I had problems on my big pond with flooding until I got a filter with a double pipe outlet.Instant cure.The raised pond filter we turned the pipe round inside to be horizontal so that the water could drain away easier.Hope yours is O.K.now.

Dusty:
Hi Maggie,  Stephen was called after Stephen Fry (fry - baby fish!)

After the late spawning there was always a lot of activity around the grassy plants and we assumed the fish were eating some eggs but we thought a few would survive.  I had been reading about how many hundreds or thousands of eggs can be laid and so was sure we would have some babies.

Hopefully when the overflow is cut down a little lower that will solve our problems.    The water is still lovely and clear - even though it is late in the year - the amount of times it has been topped up I was expecting it to turn green with the amount of sunlight we have still been having but it is still lovely.  

I have posted two pics to Dan to include on here.  One showing part of the pond and the other of some of the fish.  Unfortunately Stephen is not on the picture - I think he is camera shy - kept disappearing.

Chloe:
Hi Teresa,

Yes, had a lovely holiday, thanks.  Went to a place called Keyhaven, nothing there but sea and the birds.

I never gave it a thought to bring my babies in.  What did you put them in?  I really couldn't imagine me catching the ones that are left in my pond.  You notice I refrain from saying how many, as I dread to think.  I do worry about how they are going to survive as they aren't growing as fast as I had hoped, so they could survive the winter.  I went on Monday and bought 3 bags of daphnia to try and fatten them up, but they looked no fatter today :)  And if that's not worrying enough I still have babies in my small wildlife pond.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version