Author Topic: curly kale aphids  (Read 2812 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
curly kale aphids
« on: October 29, 2007, 21:13:20 »
I was a bit shocked to see aphids on my curly kale - i thought kale was sort of indestructable.

will the aphids die off when the weather gets colder? Do I have to treat it somehow?

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
Re: curly kale aphids
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:25:43 »
My kale was infested with whitefly, and still is, I wash em off with a hose, I expect a spell of cold will do for them

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:56:39 »
I have never known the kales NOT to get whitefly at this time of year and even during the cold they cling in a dormant like state but never seem to do much damage  ???

when I cut kale I give it a good shake or bash (much to the chagrin of other plotters who think I'm just spreading them) and them pour some boiled but slightly cooled water over them when I get home and then they are perfik  :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 20:27:49 »
Okay it's good to know they won't do much harm.

I soaked the leaves in water overnight and the aphids fell off. But it might not be so good nutrient-wise.

I'll try the hot water trick instead

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 16:16:53 »
I put the kale for 15 minutes in cold water with some SALTand than under the tap for a minute and the kale is clean to eat.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 16:23:00 »
I've got white-fly on my kale as well.

I picked some yesterday and pointed out to my father-in-law how prolific they were as they flew in all directions.

His response?

"That's not whitefly, it's fagash!"

Cheeky bugger  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 18:12:13 »
Whitefly, this year, is on every green thing!! If you take the trouble to spray, DO spray UNDER each leaf - where they are. Very time comsuming.

"Brassica whitefly can be a problem in some areas depending on the weather. Although winter brassica crops (Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage etc) can usually cope with this pest, the very warm autumn this year has allowed the pest to build up to dramatic numbers, rather than showing a decline as is more common at this time of year.

Where infestations are severe, a couple of sprays of insecticidal soap may be necessary. Use a good quality sprayer – preferably one with a lance - and try to spray in the cool of the morning when the whitefly are less active. Pick off any yellowing lower leaves before you spray, and remember to spray under the leaves too."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal