Author Topic: How to get early and late tomatoes?  (Read 5493 times)

MattD

• Quarter Acre
How to get early and late tomatoes?
« on: October 31, 2007, 22:42:18 »
Hi folks,

I didn't really get my greenhouse fully glazed until the end of the summer so had little time to learn much this year.

The main reason I got a greenhouse was for tomatoes.  What I want to know is what's the earliest and latest I can get tomatoes to grow in an unheated greenhouse on the edge of London?

What's the procedure for planting seed, planting out etc for each end of the season? 

If I go as far as heating it, how far could I extend the season in each direction?

All advice gratefully received.

Matt

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: How to get early and late tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:50:04 »
I don't go for early - our norm is end June to end Oct - but here are some thoughts.

1. A good Propagator.
2. Growing Lights.
3. Heated mat.
4. Clean glass.
5. Early variety.
6. Minimum temperature 10C.

All sorts of tips on Google - even though most are for outdoor toms - such as http://gardendesk.blogspot.com/2007/04/ripe-tomatoes-in-june.html

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 07:42:39 »
With the mild weather the last few years "Late" isn't an issue I was still picking from an unheated house yesterday and don't think they've finished yet!
Early is a real pain these days with such odd springs..
 ::)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 08:08:25 »

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 08:11:56 »
Yes agree with Saddad. Youv'e always got one eye on the weather we had a frost here [Barnsley] 1st week in june i lost 6 cucs and same toms its worth a try so long as you have back up plants ok indoors. If you've plenty of space at home you can pamper them at home then plant out when the frosts have gone and the plants will nearly be fruiting.

Pigletwillie

• Quarter Acre
    • Hilltop Adventures Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 14:17:44 »
You can also grow varieties that mature earlier.

Ok, we have a heated greenhouse and start our tomatoes off in Mid February, but irrespective of that, a variety called "Bloody butcher" ripened a full 3 weeks earlier that the next quickest giving us ripe tomatoes in Late May.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 23:56:36 »
I agree with Piglet regarding Bloody Butcher,  it's the earliest tomato we grow.  Stupice is another early variety.

We have four plants still producing tomatoes, a Ferline, Olivade, Golden Sunrise and a yellow fruiting variety I can't remember the name of offhand (and I don't feel like going up the garden into the greenhouse to read the label at this time of night!!)

We tend to start our tomatoes off, particularly the beefsteak varieties, at the end of January/beginning of February in a propagator.  Having passed the Winter solstice, its the 'got to prepare for Spring bug' kicks in.

valmarg
Yes agree with Saddad. Youv'e always got one eye on the weather we had a frost here [Barnsley] 1st week in june i lost 6 cucs and same toms its worth a try so long as you have back up plants ok indoors. If you've plenty of space at home you can pamper them at home then plant out when the frosts have gone and the plants will nearly be fruiting.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 10:53:34 »
I have an unheated greenhouse and grow about 26 plants a year in it. This year the beefsteak types have kept going much longer than in previous years, still picking yesterday. My favourites: Supersteak hybrid, German Pink, and Speckled Roman which gives a huge amount of long large fruit over a wide time period.

Fave cherry types, Sweet Olive and Sungella have kept going and provided a large number of trusses ripening since June, but I don't start my plants off too early!
I have tried the Siberian Hardy types  of tomato in the past that are supposed to cope well with colder conditions, but didn't find there was any difference in fruiting time compared to other supposedly less hardy types.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 16:18:24 »
How late is late?-A while back I set off some Gardener`s Delight to see just how far I could push my luck. I should be picking from an unheated poly tunnel any day now.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 18:05:03 »
The very earliest I have found is Tumbler, 55 days, I only grow a couple of these to start me off,I avoid the determinate ones usually as they fruit all at once rather than  keep going like the indeterminates.I grow many varieties with a fruiting period from 55 to 100 days and all stages in between so you are bound to find plenty to choose from. I start very early with lights and we are eating our Tumblers by April, generally speaking the early cold tolerant ones like Stupice etc will grow earlier without extra heat but they still need the warmth to ripen fruit so personally I don't think much is gained. I find by using a variety of maturing times we can have toms most of the year. I grow  Longkeeper  which is picked when orange just as the frosts come and it stays good in storage for many weeks so we have toms into the new year. We usually manage to keep a couple of Sungold going even if we bring them in the house potted and they give us the Christmas and New Year salad, perhaps not a commercial idea but we enjoy doing it.  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 18:52:45 »
What a Girl!!

Thanks for reminding me about Longkeeper.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 20:54:13 »
Deb! I love Speckled Roman, tried it this year! what pretty fruit!
Awwwwww I'm missing those gluts of summer tomatoes!
Back to the thread a good earlys for me are Early Girl and Matina, in a heated greenhouse though!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 23:33:48 »
I had a similar long keeper from HSL Garden Peach i think it was called and we could still be eating them in February... or some times March.
 :)

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 18:34:52 »
So many varieties you all grow......it all sounds a lot more feasible than I thought possible if only I can track some of them down.

If I take the earliest and latest which have been mentioned (including ripening off the plant) it sounds like it should be possible to get tomatoes for about 8 months of the year without too much difficulty and more if I could work out how to fix up some kind of heating.

As always, the novice asks, and the collective wisdom of the forum delivers the knowledge. 

Thanks.

Matt

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 21:22:30 »
Hi Matt,pm your address and I will send you a few seeds of a few varieties that will stretch the season for you XX Jeannine

Tim, I got a new one last year as I had a problem getting Longkeeper from my usual source, they are called Keepsake , I have some spares if you want a few XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 21:25:14 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 06:37:03 »
I'll PM

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 14:30:02 »
Hi Jeannine and Tim,  I just noticed that these chaps stock Long Keeper: £1.30 for 15 seeds.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/organic-heirloom-tomato-seeds.htm

I've bought Chilli seeds from them over the last three years and found them reliable.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 18:46:25 »
Thanks.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 16:15:26 »
How late is late?-A while back I set off some Gardener`s Delight to see just how far I could push my luck. I should be picking from an unheated poly tunnel any day now.

When did you plant them then?  Have you got tomatoes on the plants?  Would love to do same.  When are you going to start next year's off?  I have unheated polytunnel which is pretty exposed windy wise but otherwise want to get started asap.

Old Bird

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 22:01:49 »
I picked the last of my Tomatoes today! And cleared them from the greenhouse.
I still have some chillis growing, but I am not sure as to how long.
The greenhouse is unheated, and has the glass pain missing from the roof (adequate watering for plants underneath!)
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal