Author Topic: Brussell Sprouts  (Read 1369 times)

maggie22

Brussell Sprouts
« on: October 31, 2007, 15:07:43 »
Hi All new here first time,  my Brussell Sprouts are like mini cabbages any ideas whats gone wrong and can i still eat them.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Brussell Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 15:31:46 »
hiya, maggie, lucky you, lots of us 're having problems with brussels, as they can be chopped up and stir fried, I don't think it makes a difference,
 we  get a few 'blown' sprouts, the top ones on ours are coming along tight, we take the soft blown ones off and eat them anyway, it's sometimes soft ground, I think  ;D

maggie22

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 15:39:31 »
thanks for the reply i think we will be having lots of stir frys and sprout soup. maggie

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 15:43:57 »
never mind, maggie, at least you'll be 'regular '  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 16:33:38 »
I think the jury is out on this one.

Most people will blame loose ground I don't my soil is quite light and I get good tight sprouts.

I think there is a lot to be said for variety I have tried a few over the years some have been better than others in the 'blowing' stakes.

My other thought is feeding!!

I top dress with fish blood and bone at planting out time and thats it, no more for the rest of the season.

Plus I don't like to plant sprouts in ground that had legumes (beans/peas) in the previous season in case they have left too much nitrogen in the ground.

Grow them hard is my way no feeding or watering apart from planting out time, see here; http://tinyurl.com/yurwbc

If we get an exceptionally dry spell just after planting time I might give them a drop of water till they get established then thats it!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal