Author Topic: PC out AppleMac in?  (Read 2009 times)

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
PC out AppleMac in?
« on: October 31, 2007, 15:23:31 »
My PC is about 7 years old and due for renewal. I'm seriously considering going for an imac this time, mainly I'm attracted by it's music potential.
Has any one done this - gone from a pc to a mac - and can give me a brief overview of potential pitfalls. Any info much appreciated.

Vony

• Acre
Re: PC out AppleMac in?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 19:00:33 »
I have iMac which is three years old,  I moved away from Windows because of all the virus problem associated with them.

Once you have an iMac you'll never look back despite them being a tad more expensive, you don't need a firewall- Norton Anti Virus or anything,  so forget that side.

The after sales is exceptional,  graphics out of this world and Garage band is perfect for making your own music.  The whole system works differently to windows but everything available with windows I can get with my beloved iMac , Give yourself time to get to know the system,

I changed over when I was 69 and I know your obviously brighter than me, meaning anything is possible,
Ask around and make your own decision.

Kindest Regards Vony.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 19:17:03 by Vony »

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 23:33:48 »
I adore my macbook, had a PC for 2 years then the last 13 years a mac of some sort or other, well worth the extra few quid!

ilife is great all the multimedia you need (garage band is wonderful!) comes free with a new mac  ;D
If you miss your PC (which you won't) you can get a windows operating system
I've even got a remote control with my macbook great for watching DVD's!
best thing I've spent money on, ever!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 23:35:22 by Biscombe »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 07:12:04 »
Me too. I've had Macs forever, then reluctantly moved to PC when I needed it for work and they weren't compatible. Now they are I'd go for Macs every time.  They really are pretty intuitive. Most of the best features of Windows including Vista seem to have their origins in MAc technology. Plus they look so much better. Mmmm. I love Macs. ;D ;D Our server is Mac too and doesn't break down constantly like the old PC one.

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 08:43:12 »
Thanks guys I'm almost certainly going to go for this move. Yes it's Garageband that attracted me in the first place because my PC keeps choking on Cubase. My main worries are in the transferring of Word files but I think you can get Microsoft Word for Mac now so that should be easy...right?
What word processors do you use?

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:11:27 »
You have always (well for as long as I can remember) been able to get Office (word excel etc) for the Mac.

So your documents should load up fine.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:42:18 »
You can get OpenOffice for Mac it is completely free & handles all MS office documents so there is no need to waste your money buying Microsoft Office for Mac.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 16:00:05 »
I've just got i-work for our network. I'm going to see if it will read my word documents cos office for mac is the 2003 version and there is a new one due out. I'd rather wait for the new one if I can use i-work to do the business in the meantime.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal