Author Topic: Stung by the DVLA  (Read 3287 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Stung by the DVLA
« on: October 29, 2007, 15:11:26 »
I'm b*****y fuming. Just got an £80 fine off the DVLA. I sold my motorbike 2 months ago on Ebay. Sent off logbook details of newkeeper to DVLA. Got this fine so i've just phoned them up to see why. Because it was'nt taxed when i sold the bike i should have notified them. Even though the bikes never left my garage i get fined £80 [it looks even more ridiculous as i'm typing]

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Stung by the DVLA
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 15:27:40 »
cant you appeal??

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 15:39:33 »
If it is not being kept on the road, the DVLA do need to be notified - they need a SORN - a statutory off road notice.  Statutory being the key word - rememeber that ignorance of the law is never a defence - sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 16:15:52 »
same thing happened to me with my car. Completely my fault. I'm an idiot and this SORN thing is a good thing IMHO

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 16:46:38 »
this SORN thing is a good thing
What a load of bo11ocks! It is another way the law abiding get hit for fines and the person that has not registered his ownership of a vehicle gets of scot free.

They have cameras now that can read your reg. and instantly tell if you have tax, insurance and mot. But this only works if the police stop you straight a way. If you have not registered ownership it gets posted to the last know owner.

We are still paying for the thieving, tax dodging scum because of this stupid law.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 17:00:13 »
don,t beat about the bush ACE, say what you mean

it's still a good thing

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 17:18:29 »
No Cambourne i've tried[computer says no]. Yeah thats right its a SORN of a b1tch i hate getting fined when i've done nothing wrong

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 17:36:32 »
road tax and insurance yes, but i've always been a bit vague as to whether MOT's are on a national database. Could someone point me in the right direction on t'web? just for curiosity, it's not important

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 17:49:06 »
I know when the garage does an mot they have to upload info to dvla . So i'd say yes.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 18:04:56 »
 it's www.motinfo.gov.uk, you need the reg and the v5 reference to check

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 18:41:18 »
I've seen this before I think. I tried  to renew my road tax online but couldn't because my MOT wasn't registered using " MOT Computerisation". So i'm still unsure if all MOT's are on a national database. You don't hear on these Traffic Cops TV progs - "He's un-MOT'd !" for instance

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 18:56:39 »
I checked my MOT on the web and found it.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 18:56:43 »
There may still be some valid mot certs that were not issued under the computerised system therefore the on line tax payment system cannot find the record. If they haven't already worked their way out of the system, they will soon then they will have control. Your every movement is now logged so if you are going to a lovers tryst leave the car, phone and credit card at home.

You think that is bad, just wait for the rfid chips to rule. Then a hi-tech gumshoe will be able to sit in his car and tell not only if the lady is wearing knickers but what colour, maker, design, shop bought from and

AND. Who bought them?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 09:01:32 »

it's still a good thing

Please enlighten me. You mention in a later thread about police programmes. These are mainly made up by them pulling over some scrote in an untaxed car. At the end of the programmes they usually sum up and tell you if the offenders got fined/prison etc. for the offences. I have never heard of any being done for not being sorned. But put your car off the road for a month and forget the sorn we get fined for not doing it.

This law does not work, vehicles are still on the road being used by the crooks that this law was meant to catch. But all it does is penalise the innocent.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 10:29:27 »
I can assure you that any police car/van fitted with ANPR will tell an officer instantly if the bike has an MOT.

The bike in question was not SORN'ed so to quote ACE in the eyes of the law the owner was or is"tax dodging scum". ANPR checks will reveal if the bike is taxed mot'd and insured or any other "markers" against the bike/car.The tax is actually the last thing that concerns any police officer pulling a car over insurance is number 1 priority but having no valid tax is usually the 1st sign of a number of offences.We don't display an insurance or mot disc so it starts with the tax disc.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 12:00:58 »
you get a letter saying the road tax is up, and a form to fill in if you're car is off road. You stick it behind the clock and two and a half months later you get a nasty letter and a £90 fine. It's not exactly fair, but it's not exactly Stalin's Russia either. And as silly billy says, having wrong documents is often a sign of something much more serious, tho in my case it was just stupidity, which to be fair to me last time I looked wasn't illegal

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 15:52:36 »
I could understand getting fined if the bike was on the road with no tax on it,fair cop.But to get fined when the bikes never left my garage seems harsh. Anyway i'm trying to forget about it cause it makes my blood boil.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 16:31:09 »
Your every movement is now logged so if you are going to a lovers tryst leave the car, phone and credit card at home.

You think that is bad, just wait for the rfid chips to rule. Then a hi-tech gumshoe will be able to sit in his car and tell not only if the lady is wearing knickers but what colour, maker, design, shop bought from and

AND. Who bought them?

Are you aware of how far this goes, Eristic? And the probable motives behind it?

I've been looking at this a lot lately and it's bl##dy scary.... 
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 18:27:15 »
Are you aware of how far this goes, Eristic? And the probable motives behind it?

Afraid yes. ::)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 07:49:26 »
Tell us more chaps. Wat does rfid stand for?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal