Author Topic: How DARE he  (Read 2163 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
How DARE he
« on: October 30, 2007, 19:03:52 »
Just watched the evening news and this prat that looked as though he was born in the 1960's was on there slagging are brave men who fought in the Battle of Britain saying what a load of rubbish most of them were and how they could not shoot straight. How disrespectful can some one be to our brave boys.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: How DARE he
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 19:12:25 »
I think it's a sort of mental illness with such people.  They are so overwhelmed by their own cowardice and small-mindedness that their only reaction to bravery and selflessness is to sneer.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 19:38:58 »
Its not an illness its just ignorance.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 19:46:21 »
Ignorance and de-sensitised.....theres too many gory, bloody war games on these game boys etc. Kids think its the way it is and have no fear. Its a dangerous way to be IMO.

Also kids these days get FAR too much, and its all expensive stuff. They dont know the real value and morals of things that actually mean anything any more....well a lot of them anyway.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:06:54 »
 >:( >:( Having spent 12yrs in the navy (10 as a diver & 6 as a submariner) I think he`s a RIGHT PRATT.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:29:00 »
Unfortunately Richard, disrespectfulness seems to be tolerated far to much these days.  I am hoping that this interview was shown out of context..?  Sadly I doubt it.  Trouble is, people are encouraged to voice their opinions but they fail to take into account other people's feelings in the way they give them.   If it wasn't for those brave men, many of us would not be living the lifestyles we have now.
Twinkletoes

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 13:15:33 »
Having seen this thread, I looked up a few sources, and looked at a few reports about this.

I'm quite sure no-one is criticising the pilots themselves, or their bravery. It may be distasteful, but it's a very real fact that pilots were sent into battle with minimal training, and a large proportion - particularly in the later stages - didn't even practice with their guns.
This is actually documented in the National Archives, and it's also a fact that the Browning .303 gun was not all that effectual against other planes.

Throughout history, Service personnel have been ill equipped to to fight effectively, even up to the Iraq invasion. Simply stating that our squadies should have better guns, boots, body armour etc, doesn't take anything away from the bravery, selflessness etc of the people doing the fighting.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 13:30:34 »
See - you've put the idea into words in a more sensitive way which I don't feel sounds disrespectful at all.  It can be done with a little thought eh?  By the way, I agree with all your sentiments.  I wouldn't have been able to put my similar thoughts into words as well.  Thank you.
Twinkletoes

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 14:38:55 »
Throughout history, Service personnel have been ill equipped to to fight effectively, even up to the Iraq invasion. Simply stating that our squadies should have better guns, boots, body armour etc, doesn't take anything away from the bravery, selflessness etc of the people doing the fighting.

I agree. If anything it makes their courage more remarkable.

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 15:20:31 »
I agree. If anything it makes their courage more remarkable.

I was going to put something along those lines , but though my post was long enough as it was  :D

The very fact that those young men - many of whom didn't even see their 21st birthday - were prepared to fly into battle with only a basic training of 10 hours, and inadequate weaponry against an enemy which, in some cases, was as much as 4 to 1 against, is testament enough to true heroism.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 19:42:33 »
I think Winston Churchill summed it up perfectly with his speech:

'Never in the history of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.'

valmarg

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 20:43:03 »
.........and they were proud to serve their country
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal