Author Topic: Inexpensive Christmas Present Ideas Wanted!  (Read 9683 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Inexpensive Christmas Present Ideas Wanted!
« on: October 28, 2007, 13:53:43 »
I don't know about anyone else, but this year I'm trying to think of ways to give inexpensive Christmas presents as there's not much in the bank. I still want to buy 'main' presents for my closest family and partner, but it's all the other people that I end up spending a tenner or so on... a tenner here, a tenner there, it adds up so quickly. So... I bought some hyacinth bulbs and will try to get some nice pots to plant up soon and give those as gifts. I also thought of maybe making some festive biscuits or truffles or something to go in nice boxes.

I'd appreciate any other ideas from people, I'm sure I'm not being all that creative so I await to hear what the rest of you are up to!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 13:57:46 by Common_Clay »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Inexpensive Christmas Present Ideas Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 16:11:08 »
aldi's getting fancy wellies in on thursday, 1st november, 5.99, cheapest I've seen is a tenner in b&q...you could buy cheap plant pots and decorate them as well
my friend used to make marshmallow treats..
get different coloured marshmellows, put each one in a paper cup, dark chocolate on top and a smartie, they used to go down a bomb, they'd look nice in a home made box  ;D
no doubt there's loads more ideas out there, Jeannine told us about lovely drink mixes, hope she does it again, I've lost them  ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 16:39:08 »
Last Christmas I gave my mother-in-law a home made hamper. I bought a large plastic box (from a cheapie store). Shredded magazine pages for packing and colour. Each time I went shopping I looked for unusual items I knew she would never buy, often I got two for one bargains. I also made some home made items and when she opened it up she was delighted. She now uses the plastic container for all her packets of biscuits and crisps for when the kids come over.

This year I'm doing the similar sort of thing, but this time I'm filling with packets of seeds (bought in sales), gloves, string, pot labels, seed trays, small pots, trowel etc etc.  :)

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 16:52:04 »
if you have a printer on your computer scan in and  print off photos of people and pets important to them, cut them out and put them in one of those clip frames ever so cheap dont even need printing on photo paper, i usally put something in to work around last year i put the year printed it out in a nice font and colour cut it out and put it in the centre you can put a gift tag or similar in the centre and i also for my daughters 18th included some of that shiny confetti stuff. these are cheap easy to make and very personal just an idea

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 17:38:43 »
CRACKERS. For some quick and effective gift. Save your toilet roll tubes, buy some decorative paper and some of that Christmas ribbon that matches. Insert a couple of packets of seeds or a gift voucher into the cardboard tube. Cover with the paper and use the ribbon to make the ends of a cracker. Voila instant gift  ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 17:47:20 »
Keep the boxes you get from your Christmas cards. Line the base with a piece of tissue paper. Decorate the lid with a nice piece of paper and then fill the box with home made chocolates, fudge or truffles.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/home-made-chocolate-truffles,796,RC.html

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/hand-made-chocolates,900,RC.html

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 17:49:11 »
May i suggest the £! shop they have some lovely things some brand names i would think 2/3 items in a little box decorated would be rather nice.
  Also you mentioned bulbs what about planting up a pot of beautifull crocus, and putting a red or silver bow  on it wrap it like a bunch of flowers in Christmas paper & the bow tied around it will look lovely & i am sure will be very happily recieved.    What about a couple of packets of flower seeds or veggie seeds nicely wrapped with a sticky Christmas bow on.
 I shant go on because i am sure more peeps will come up with ideas.
Good luck you have lots of time to look around and dress things up,i have had to do it many times for friends.  Rosebud :)

Knitter

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 18:32:20 »
If you've saved any seeds this year you can print out pretty packets for them here:

http://theseedsite.co.uk/envelope.html

(no affiliation etc!)

I sometimes make simple bookmarks as quick and easy gifts - just plait or twist some embroidery thread and add beads at either end. Chopped up charity shop necklaces are good for this!

If you're into making your own preserves, fill the little jars that sandwich spreads come in with different types of jams/jellies/marmalades for a posh 'breakfast selection'.

HTH!

Claire

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 19:25:16 »
My best pressy last year was from my big bro. He knotted everyone a key fob. If you are interested in this kind of thing I can furnish you with instructions!
Smile, it confuses people.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 07:00:29 »
A boy scout leader made me one over a pint a few years ago, its still going strong. Looked very complicated though he made it so easy and fast.

I would love to have a go, at least with decent destructions it 'might' be easier ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 10:24:42 »
Thanks everyone so much for these ideas, great! The links are really useful, I've just printed out some of the seed packet designs to investigate. It's got me thinking all creatively, but any more ideas are really welcome! I had a thought of maybe making some jewellery, this may be harder than anticipated though!

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 11:17:42 »
I have a 'make your own' candles set somewhere, can't find it at the moment though, so suspect it maybe in the attic.
DD has discovered that she too has a candle making set, but we need an old saucepan!
I know mine is an easy to do one, fill a glass with sand wax and haet it up, just wish I could find it!!

I thought about the seed idea above, I have lots of packets of 'pretty' tomato seeds, so I thought I could do some envelopes and put say 5 or 10 seeds of each type in a little envelope, an idea for Dad. I mentioned it to Mum and she said he is fussy and will only grow Gardeners Delight!

I like the sweets idea, just a shame that they don't store longer.

I am now thinking about getting a photo album and printing off some photos of the children. That would go down very well, just a case of trying to find photo albums.

Any other ideas are most welcomed, I will keep my eye on this thread!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 12:55:35 »
If you are thinking of decorating glasses as was mentioned earlier, Ik*a  sell boxes of glasses really cheaply. A couple of champagne glasses and some seeds in a packet inside would be different.
One just can't have enough champagne glasses don't you know!! :D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 15:33:11 »
Ikea are selling tins of christmas ginger biscates for £1 and they look more expensive.

You could also make hampers with lotty stuff inc home made chutneys and pickles.

Then add retro sweets from there childhood you can get these from
http://www.retrosweets.co.uk/
http://www.retrotuckshopsweetsdirect.co.uk/
http://www.keepitsweet.co.uk/catalog/

If you have access to a printer you can make family recipie books they can use?

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 16:36:36 »
I think Bastins do reasonably priced photo albums

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 18:29:45 »
what about some house plants from fruit or veg seed such as Lemon, Orange, Lychees, Passion fruit, Avocado, Date Palms - they all make lovely houseplants and if you started them now they will/should have germinated and got going by xmas  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 18:32:59 »
we got 4 pieces of ginger from morrison's for 39p..three of them had bumps on them so we have 3 ginger plants, apparently these make nice house plants as well  ;D

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 18:55:41 »
we started a ginger plant, but do you need to bury the ginger, or leave it on top of the soil?
We left it on top, but I am now wondering if I should cover it.
Cheers
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 19:16:46 »
I covered it, just leaving the 'bump' above, they're now shooting so they must like it  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal