Author Topic: Is it easy to cut glass?  (Read 3567 times)

pammiep

• Not So New ...
Is it easy to cut glass?
« on: September 14, 2007, 08:27:41 »
We have finally erected our 18 x 8 greenhouse but have quite a lot broken panes.  We worked out it will cost over £100 for new glass but got quite a lot of spare glass with this green house but which will need cutting.  We thought if we get a really good glass cutter we would have a go.  Has anyone out there done any glass cutting and is it difficult?
many thanks :-\
pammie.

Macca

• Quarter Acre
  • Fork it!
Re: Is it easy to cut glass?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:53:40 »
i bought a greenhouse last year and utilised spare glass i had knocking around. Give it a go, i bought a cheapo glass cutter and it was pretty straight forward.
Saying that though i did try cutting a newish window that i found in a skip recently and couldn't get it to snap, i think it was just a bit too thick for my tool. I ended up applying too much pressure to snap it and it ended up shattering. Fortunately i had a pair of gloves on. But i'd say that was my fault; if it doesn't break easily after scoring it, don't put all off your body weight on it!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:39:27 »
Go for the best to save money in the long run. A Toyo cutter.

PM me your address & I'll mail you mine, which you can borrow or buy cheaply.

I'll then explain how to proceed, especially if I can have your e-mail address.

I've been teaching framing for 30 years!

= Tim

PS To answer your question, YES!!

pammiep

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:56:08 »
Thanks for this Macca. Will have a go.

Tim, thats really good of you my email is DAN HERE, HAVE REMOVED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, AND SET TO TIM AS A PM
pammie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:17:06 by Admin aka Dan »

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 09:57:48 »
Agree with Tim, having just been on a glass fusing and slumping course last weekend, an oil filled cutter such as one of these is brilliant, I used the pistol grip, as damaged tendons in right hand make grip difficult.

https://www.creativeglassguild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_596&products_id=482

https://www.creativeglassguild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_596&products_id=484

Kathi
Kathi :-)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 10:03:07 »
Instructions in e-mail!!

You do NOT need an oil filled cutter!!

Sorry - address doesn't work - so here's something to go on with. Let me know if you want the cutter.

GLASS CUTTING

1.    Get a good T square.

2.    Clear table with cardboard or sheet on it.

3.    Mark measurement on glass from left in felt tip. Always allow 2mm under size.

4.    Hook T square over far edge.

5.    Align with mark.

6.    Holding cutter exactly like a pencil, lay it against the T square & edge the square to the left until the cutter wheel is exactly on the line.

7.    Stand so that you can reach from the top of the glass to the bottom in one movement, leading with your elbow & NOT bending your wrist.

8.    Place cutter within 2mm of the top edge of the glass,

9.    Apply pressure as you would to score a piece of card. You do NOT want to dig a groove. The cutting line should be almost invisible.

10.                       Draw the cutter right down to the bottom & continue off the bottom edge. DON’T bend your wrist.

11.                       Draw the glass toward you so that the bottom edge is 3” or 4 “ over the edge.

12.                       Hold the bottom edge either side of the ‘cutting line’ between finger & thumb – thumb on top.

13.                       Gently twist your fingers up & out as if opening the cut. It should open with a hiss – not a crack. You can run  4’ cut like this.

Sorry about the paras  - can’t understand Word’s auto thing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:25:37 by tim »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 13:46:07 »
In the post!

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 13:52:41 »
 ;D ;D  Got fedup with breaking it, got my son in law now.

pammiep

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 14:17:26 »
thanks everyone (especially Tim).  Will have a good try. 
p.s.  Just been to Tesco Garage and they have their Organic compost 20L reduced from £3.29 to 0.74 a bag (I got 12!!)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 06:29:30 »
Pam - GLASS - a couple of afterthoughts:

1. IF the cut should not run, turn the glass 90deg, bring the score line over the edge of the table. bearing the weight of the glass, & do a gentle snap down. Caveat - it can break under its own weight.

2. Do NOT take the cutter over the top edge - it can rough up the wheel.

3. Do NOT consider keeping the tool unless you can make it do what I say it will!

4. If you're doing a lot of glass, & handling it a lot, it would make sense to get a Diamond pad or file & just take take it at 45deg along both edges of the glass.

= Tim
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 06:32:32 by tim »

pammiep

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 08:59:26 »
Thanks Tim. A friend who has cut glass before said he will do it for us - which I am relieved about - but what is a Diamond pad?  I leave the house before post arrives so hopefully will be there when I get home but dont think he can do it before weekend anyway. pam

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 09:03:42 »
A diamond coated abrasive pad.

And friend??  NO, NO - try some yourself!!

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 23:06:15 »
I find that new glass breaks easily on the cut line but old glass does not break cleanly - am I doing something wrong?

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 23:23:06 »
New glass will cut OK usually, old glass can be a bit iffy (Make sure it's clean and dry both sides whether new or old, wet or damp glass will often run out of line when cutting).  I learnt to cut glass when an apprentice sixty years ago, I had to cut crates of glass up for a new Village College near Cambridge.

A word of warning!
There is a lot of toughened glass around these days, this will not cut and will shatter if you try to work it.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal