Author Topic: I need to grumble  (Read 8244 times)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: I need to grumble
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 10:46:15 »

I was happy enough to look into the gallery now and again, but photography does not really rock my boat. It is the same with recipes but at least you can link to another forum if that is what you want. There are at least four photo posts in the shed at present as this part of A4A is starting to 'leak' outside of its section.

Just imagine if the edible and non edible plants was sectioned up between every veg and type eg potatoes, cabbage, salad. Or roses, perrenials, annuals etc. It would be so tedious to trawl through them all you would give up.

I am not asking for change as I just scroll past the photos and if it makes you happy so be it. But I would not mind if it was pulled back a bit into its own section. Perhaps Photos4all might be an option.

most public forums offer accessory options and yes it is easy enough to ignore any you are not interested in but if A4A were to reduce this forum to just gardening and allotments it would be very small indeed.

But more to the point, no-one expects their boat to be rocked in every direction but considering what A4A is all about - growing food and gardening on a more general level, then I'm surprised that recipes and recorded images don't excite more as food is all about eating and gardening has a great deal to do with gaining pleasure from looking.

So why not turn your chandelier on Ace and see things in a new light  :-*

perhaps we should have a photo comp on fruit and veg as well

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 16:25:05 »
...again....I'm back to stats; the most concrete proof if Ken's ideas are working (entries, viewings & voting nos. being the most certain indications if a successful new formula has been attained) or not,  and I'm sure he/Dan will tweak, or even revert to the old system of general interest pics taken during the last month,  if necessary,  if interest has fallen?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 19:24:44 »
Mixed emotions.....none of which I take in a negative way. This is only me running the shop, without customers the 'For Sale' sign goes up.
 Many thanks for the votes of confidence and regarding stats, well, since the 'new look' opened it's doors a month ago, we have had close to 350 people bothering to vote. That's not bad for any new format.
 I will always, as I keep saying, take note of all comments and suggestions and if there is a call for any sort of change or addition then trust me, it will happen. I'm here to run this section for A4A people, not to tell them how it will be.
 A closer look at the contest section will show that although there are parts of it designed to promote understanding/development and help on the digi side of things, there are other parts which don't lean in that direction at all. Any and all manner of submissions either have, or will have a place to be shown.
 Thanks for the feed back, without it this part of A4A would continue to gather dust so far as those who always shied away from it in the past are concerned.
 Keep checking, one day your pet subject will appear. Ken.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 19:52:00 »
  The photography section has plenty of interest, especially amongst those of us who aren't necessarily enthusiastic enough to join a photography forum, but to whom it is a pleasant pasttime.
.... and to all us newbies to the art of digital enhancement. Kens efforts have certainly sparked my interest and now I'm trying stuff which has been on the 'to do' list for a while and I'm loving it ;D
So it's a big thumbs up from me. Nice to have the opportunity to learn something different from the only forum I frequent frequently ;D.
Smile, it confuses people.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 20:09:12 »
EMagggie....I don't think I've seen 'frequent-frequently' ever used before in the same sentence...you really have developed your developing devotions.. :D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 07:49:31 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D and ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 11:55:11 »
Can I put in my two penneth please ;) :)
I think the new system is working well....all credit to Ken :)
Only one little point......it's a shame that not many people seem to be joining in posting photos in the comps and also voting.  I did notice on the one occasion that Dan emailed (I presume everybody) to say that the voting had begun, we had loads of people looking in to the comp and voting.
It seems such a shame in view of all Ken's hard work and organisation if not many people join in :)

Oooops, sorry Ken, should have probably put this in Competition Comments :-\ :-[

Perhaps the reason people are not joining in (they might be by now) is that this is an allotments and gardening forum.
I was happy enough to look into the gallery now and again, but photography does not really rock my boat. It is the same with recipes but at least you can link to another forum if that is what you want. There are at least four photo posts in the shed at present as this part of A4A is starting to 'leak' outside of its section.

Just imagine if the edible and non edible plants was sectioned up between every veg and type eg potatoes, cabbage, salad. Or roses, perrenials, annuals etc. It would be so tedious to trawl through them all you would give up.

I am not asking for change as I just scroll past the photos and if it makes you happy so be it. But I would not mind if it was pulled back a bit into its own section. Perhaps Photos4all might be an option.
I agree with Ace it does seem to be popping up in other sections.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 14:22:56 »
must confess I am totaly confused but then whats new  ;D
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 15:06:05 »
...confused....? That's my default setting ;D

But Ken's new photo comp. format is something different? Again, if the stats show that it's popular, more power to him and the contributors and voters and I'm sure it will go from strength to strength on that basis. 8)

If any of the sections are a turn-off I'm sure they'll wither on the vine (to keep on-topic on a predominately Gardening Forum, so to speak)....

I think that Ken's idea of informing peeps that sections are open for posting/voting published in The Shed is good 8)......we all have the option of not visiting the photo forums, if we wish,  and I don't consider this a 'spilling over' or intrusion on the site in general - it's merely a Public Announcement that's easy to see.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 19:29:52 »
Are you looking at my note-book, AM?... :D
 I Have your reply written down here almost word for word!
 Using the Shed to place an announcement is not over spill in my book. There is only one announcement placed there per change and I see it as a time-saving check, nothing more.
 The Shed has, in the past, been used to announce things mentioned elsewhere but has then gone on to become a second and additional place to talk about that topic. This will not happen with any announcement I make there, count on it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal