Photo Gallery > Photo Talk

I need to grumble

(1/6) > >>

SamLouise:
Sorry and all that because I know things are new and I don't mean to whinge and sound like an old moan bag but for me, it's all getting far too confusing in the gallery section these days.  There are too many picture boards, too many threads, too many competitions being opened and shut etc etc.  I can't keep up and am now starting to feel that I want to avoid it all and just go into the main gallery and stick with that.

Unless I am mistaken - and I apologise if I am - there isn't even a winners thread to say whose photos did the best? 

I was going to open a poll to see if other members were thinking the same but I don't want to appear disrespectful.  It's not simple anymore.

legendaryone:
I do agree there does seem to be a lot of threads but i think we should give Kens way of doing it a chance  :)

lorna:
Sam I absolutely agree with you. Of course we all know how much time Ken has spent on his ideas but I was really confused when trying to catch up on posts after being away for a week. Agree with legendaryone that we should give the new way of doing things a chance.

rosebud:
I think i need to go & lie down in a dark room after trying to find my way around everthing photo orientated. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;).

kenkew:
OK, let's see if I can explain things by taking S'Blue's points one at a time.

'...............it's all getting far too confusing in the gallery section these days. There are too many picture boards, too many threads, too many competitions being opened and shut etc etc.....'

I believe the boards in the 'Photo Gallery' category are self explanatory particularly as each board has a strap line alongside explaining it's basic contents; ie, 'Photo Talk'=General photo discussion, 'Gallery' = pictures of interest'..etc.
Too many threads? The threads I've created are mainly in the 'Contest' section and have been kept to a minimum but sufficient to cover the expanded contest. For each contest section there is a request to submit photo's,(which is locked and not added to)  when the pictures are in, that thread is removed as it's no longer applicable and is followed by a new one with the pic's for voting on. Again, this is a thread which does not have additional posts added to.
The only extra to this is a comments thread applicable to that particular contest. That's it. At no time should there be more than two threads per contest section showing. The old system actually had three showing! The request, the vote and the winner!

Unless I am mistaken - and I apologise if I am - there isn't even a winners thread to say whose photos did the best? 

To answer this is really an extension of what I put above. It's true, there is no winners thread and there's a good reason for that. I relized if we followed the old format we would end up a tangle of threads and the shouts of 'confusion' would be justified. To keep threads to a minimum I remove the request for pic's and put in it's place the vote thread. When the vote is over, the voting thread is removed and a results thread is opened. The winner's name is placed as the last post in the results thread but all the pic's are also added to the Results thread. The Results thread eg, 'Life1: Results' means to find the winner people must glance through the pic's submitted for that contest.
 I thought that was a reasonable way forward. If I created an extra thread purely for the winning name, not only do we clutter up the board with yet another thread, people going to the winner's thread would then have to go to and open the voting thread again to see the winning pic. Putting the pic's and winner together makes sense and cuts down on threads. That's better than adding an extra one?

I was going to open a poll to see if other members were thinking the same but I don't want to appear disrespectful.  It's not simple anymore.

It's right to say it's not as simple, that's because there are more choices, not because the format isn't simple. Those wishing to be part of more than one contest will have a little more to do. But again, that's simply due to contest choices, not format.
 Briefly then, apart from the comments thread per section, there is only one 'active' thread in operation that people actually need to join in with after submitting a pic, that's the vote thread.
 Any ideas for a better than this format I'd be keen to see.
Thanks, Ken.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version