Author Topic: Is there anything to deter mice?  (Read 6647 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Is there anything to deter mice?
« on: October 27, 2007, 11:40:00 »
For the past couple of years we have had mice in our kitchen cupboards. I have put poison down and for a while they go away but still they return eventually. I have not put down any traps as I am a bit squeemish and can't bear the thought of finding one in there, all squashed!! I am sure they are getting in through the air vents then through the gaps around the meters, the OH is planning to block them when he has worked out a way! Is there anything you can put down to deter them. I have no food in these cupboards, except in jars or bottles. I though there may be some smell they don't like, like some aromatherapy oils or something.

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Is there anything to deter mice?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:11:54 »
a cat?

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:25:30 »
we used to live in a house that was laden with mice (The persons that lived there first had pet shop),they used to get everywere huby had 2 traps down if any got caught he used to take them away and let them go, then son found all these kittens that some nasty person dumped out of there car, and we had one, called him thomas and thomas was a bit on the wild side he would go off for days and then come back! however he got rid of all the mice then the horrid thing happend thomas was on his way back from his wandering one day and someone ran him over only across the road, he had a broken spine and wouldnt be able to walk again so we had to have him put to sleep. that was about 3 years ago still miss him,but he is  not suffering anymore
Paula
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 13:12:52 by paulina »

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 13:55:21 »
I have loads of mice - but, up in the attic.  We have had 6 this autumn already.  They get in thro the garage and climb up the electric wires leading up to the attic.  I don't mind as long as they are not in the main part of the house.  Only way is to block up the holes really.  I say they were here before us.   ;) ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 15:32:34 »
If you don't want to flatten them try live traps, they do work effectively.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 16:25:33 »
I live end of terrace of 4 bungalows. Never had a mouse in 16 years until a neighbour had some ceiling and loft work done. I then found the dog biscuit box chewed. I caught 3 in just over an hour. (I don't mind removing them from trap) We noticed that when I had central heating put in the holes in the airing cupboard from the old pipes hadn't been filled in. Son filled the holes in, never seen one since, they haven't even stayed in the loft. (Thank goodness)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 17:46:39 »
try live traps, they do work effectively.

Just remember to check them regularly, as they get really distressed in them. I used one to catch mice I had under the sink. I checked every 30 minutes. Even then, the poor things had pooed and weed in fright and were really messy. Never leave them for too long without looking.

cj :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 09:45:10 »
They poo and wee all the time. That's not fright, that's nature.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 09:50:31 »
Yes, I know that, but the amount that was in the trap after only 30 mins must have been the complete contents of its stomach. Animals do this when they are frightened. It was also very runny, not normal pellets.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 13:39:39 »
Yes, I know that, but the amount that was in the trap after only 30 mins must have been the complete contents of its stomach. Animals do this when they are frightened. It was also very runny, not normal pellets.

Still think that the mouse would prefer a little too long in a humane mousetrap rather than having its neck snapped in an inhumane one.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 13:56:20 »
I'm not sure it would have time to express an opinion..  :-[

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 14:44:52 »
Still think that the mouse would prefer a little too long in a humane mousetrap rather than having its neck snapped in an inhumane one.

I absolutely agree. All I am saying is to be careful not to leave the little creature in there too long. I am not advocating using the snap ones. ::)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 17:33:02 »
Oh goodness I am feeling really sorry for the little mice now. I just want to deter them. so does anyone know of smell they don't like??  Can you get bottled cat?????LOL

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 17:33:13 »
Nothing compares to the 5-6 hours of torture my cat gives them. :o

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 21:34:40 »
Rhubarb leaves are a repellent.  Alright in a compost heap, don't know how practical (or seasonal) they are for you though.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 19:46:46 »
Don't thionk Rhubarb leaves would be right in my kitchen cupboard, somehow, lol. Thanks anyway.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 18:29:55 »
You need to find a safe place to leave the mouse poison bate, where it is always accesable to them. Use bait bags, that way it stays fresh and they will chew there way into the bag. This way you get em before they have a chance to breed.
Blocking up air holes creates hellish damp problems inn the house, they are there for a reason....

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 20:11:15 »
I will get some poison for them, think it is the only way. We were not going to block up the air vents just the holes in the cupboard around the electric and Gas meters.

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 22:32:10 »
i had to use poison, though i hated to do it, but after 700 pound bill for rewiring something had to give.

i tried live catching , but to no avail

sad but i had to do it
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal