Author Topic: Planting Garlic  (Read 5812 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Planting Garlic
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 16:55:11 »
Last year I planted in Christmas week one row with the top of the clove about two inches from the surface, one about 1" and another quite shallow. There was no discernible difference in the results - they were all small  :D 

I've already planted this season's first batch but we have light soil so, following the reasoning above, I'll do some at four inches and some at one inch in both the next batch and the spring planting to get a comparative.

Actually I suspect it mostly depends on the weather pattern and there's not much you can do about that.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2007, 03:06:26 »
planted mine 3 weeks ago 2 inches deep. A large hardneck variety from Brittany bought from a trendy deli near me. No sign yet.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2007, 20:09:44 »
I got the last of mine in today.

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2007, 12:54:46 »
My seed garlic still haven't arrived yet, so today I bought 8 bulbs from Tesco.
Half are going into a prepared bed outside, and half into my new polytunnel.
I'll do the same with the "proper" ones when they arrive and will be very interested to compare results.

Onion sets planted in the poly already have 6-8" of growth while those outside are barely showing.....
They call it the "Good Life" but it's a b****y HARD life!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2007, 16:11:38 »
I haven't got mine in yet due to children being home for half term and wanting to do other stuff. i've decided to try two planting depths just to see what difference it makes. My bulbs from last year were quite small  with not many cloves. I'm also trying a period of pre-chilling in the fridge before planting....though I've put them all in so i won't be able to compare that treatment.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2007, 18:11:42 »
Mine arrived from King's today, so hope to get some of them in tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal