Author Topic: Advice Needed ASAP - sick kittens after neutering  (Read 2540 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Advice Needed ASAP - sick kittens after neutering
« on: December 06, 2007, 18:43:23 »
Hello

My two female kittens were steralised yesterday and are wearing post-op collars.  They were really 'dopey' last night, but one seems better this morning.  The other hid herself in a cupboard, and is totally out of sorts.  Unlike the other kit, she has only eaten a few mouthfuls of food.  They have to go back tomorrow afernoon for their stitches to be removed, in the meantime I have two problems:

The sicker kitten will only drink from a running tap, should we remove her collar and hold her under the tap?  I do not have a drop feeder, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Both kittens need huge tablets but I am worried about holding them and forcing small bits of tablet down their throats without doing more harm than good.

Any advice would be appreciated.  It's the turn of the male dogs next week and really not looking forward to that!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Advice Needed ASAP - sick kittens after neutering
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 18:59:27 »
Fluid after an op is essential....take off the collar if that's stopping her drinking.

Tablets: If the vet says they're needed then there has to be a way found for them to take them. How about grinding them between two spoons and mixing the powder with sardine or the like?
Ken.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 19:13:13 »
can you make up a mush of rice and boiled fish/chicken and make it quite sloppy? she probably doesnt feel up to kitten food.  maybe do as ken says too and crush the pill up with it. if they were neutered yesterday isnt it a bit soon for the stitches to come out tomorrow? i wouldnt hold her under the tap but maybe remover her collar and let her sit in the sink/bath. poor little thing. lots of tlc and sleep.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 19:35:34 »
Thank you so much for the advice.  We took her collar off and she had drink from the kitchen sink thankfully.  Broke the tablets into four and she managed to take them.  Then more water then food.  She is still very docile but at least I know she has had something.  Will wake her in half an hour and give her more water.

The other kitten went into a trance like state when held on her back, and also took the tablets.  Not sure what they will be like with another four days of this when they get their fighting spirit back!

I did think that two days was a bit soon for the stitches, but the vet has a fantastic reputation.  The wound is underneath and covered with an adhesive dressing.  Anyway I will see what happens tomorrow.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 19:49:32 »
I wouldn't wake her for water. Let her sleep, that's the best medicine ever. Give her a drink before your bedtime but other than that, let her sleep.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 20:40:26 »
If you are worried my advice would be to contact your vet.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 20:41:09 »
if they're not eating but drinking ,you could give them some lactol milk,we give it to all of our kits .

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 15:17:31 »
Thank you all so much for your replies.

I took the kittens to the vets today to have their dressing changes (not stitches out, it must have been a blip in my understanding ::)).

Anyway, both wounds are healing well even though one kitten has a slight temperature.  She has a had an injection of antibiotics.  I have been that it is probably the collar that is causing her problems and I am to remove it regularly (supervising her obviously) so that she can eat and drink as normal.  It will be next Saturday before the stitches are out, so a long way to go.

Thanks again to all who replied.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 15:55:53 »
I'm sure she will pick up in a day or two, its a big thing for a little kitty. if you have any worries about her/them at all i would certainly follow Georgies advice and phone your vet for peace of mind. my cats vet is very good and quite happy to reassure and advise. Any chance of some pics of the kittens?

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 19:36:00 »
Really good news  ;D both kittens are eating and drinking now.  Despite the language difficulties (I live in France), I was pushed to use my 'new' language, and the vet did say any problems bring her back.  She is doing really well, and I have taken lots of pictures of both of them that I wanted to show.  Unfortunately my updated software has totally baffled me so I cannot upload them.  When I have it sorted I will post the photos.  Thanks again.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 19:47:03 »
Great news.   ;D  I look forward to seeing the pictures.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 20:00:22 »
My dog went through the same op and I refused to have a 'bin-lid' of a collar fitted as I reckon those things are more of a stress than not. Apart from occasional licking which helped keep it clean, she left the stiches alone.
Ken.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal