Author Topic: Planting on bonfire site?  (Read 1502 times)

YorkshireLass

• Not So New ...
Planting on bonfire site?
« on: October 21, 2007, 13:09:26 »
Hiya folks

Making slow but steady progress with our weed-infested allotment, and it occurs to me to wonder what (if anything) would particularly like / not like to be grown on the site of a weed-bonfire?

We just had it in the top-middle of the plot, and have a lot more stuff that will need burning, but am just wondering what we can do with the site as and when we want to cultivate it?

I am guessing that a lot of the stuff produced by burning will leach away over time, but having not been in this situation before would appreciate any thoughts.

Ta,

Charlotte

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Planting on bonfire site?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 22:36:20 »
Depends what you've burnt. If it's woody material, most crops will appreciate the extra potash.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 22:51:13 »
My lottie mate always grows his onions where he has had his bonfire - swears by it.  I always mean to try it but never have the space at the right time so invariably have my bonfire where my potatoes were and my legumes will be.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 23:58:35 »
I heard that wood ash from bonfires is bad for potatoes as it encourages scab.  This was confirmed two years ago when I planted potatoes where my husband had previously had a fire.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 00:34:31 »
As well as giving potatoes scab, if you have too high a concentration of wood ash in any one area, you can get mineral deficiencies in plants, because the soil gets too alkali and most plants are unable to take up some of the minerals they need. I had severe problems in an area which was very alkali due to too much wood ash being dug into the soil. It's really best to spread the ash thinly, not all in one place.

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 11:03:38 »
grows his onions where he has had his bonfire

I wonder if the fire kills the onion white rot spores?

Have you tried this,  Tim?
Good gardening!

John

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal