Author Topic: chickens in winter  (Read 1687 times)

Philbasford

• Acre
chickens in winter
« on: October 24, 2007, 21:49:35 »
This is our first winter with our girls. one of them doesnt seem to like the cold at all!, is always the last one to come out and doesnt look to happy, unless i bring her inside, cuddle her and generaly make a fuss,  anyone got any ideas what to do to make it better for them in winter?

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
Re: chickens in winter
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 14:53:38 »
We put bubble wrap over the henhouse and part of the run in winter. Ours then stay in the run under the wrap when it's cold and wet...keeps the snow out of the run too!! They can go in and out of the covered run but at least they have somewhere to shelter and keep dry.

Good luck!

Judi

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 16:22:28 »
I have a Brahma who hates the cold. She doesn't come out until at least lunch time when it's warmed up a bit and come bedtime she's always  first one in lol
I have been letting her in the kitchen when I cook tea and she sits by the cooker to soak up some heat before bed lol

The things we do for our chickens  ::)

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 17:41:40 »
Perhaps that's why your chickens are noticing the cold, you're spoiling them! If they're allowed to be cosy inside a warm house, when you put them back outside in their henhouse the cold is going to feel even colder. Chickens don't like the wind, make sure they have a shelter from the wind and rain. If they're outdoor chickens then they really need to get used to the cold weather, I think by letting them into the warm you are making it harder for them.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 18:20:50 »
Make sure you don't have any nasty draughts. Imagine what it must be like to sleep in a chilly draught...brrrr,  not nice!

We put that foam stuff wrapping stuff over the windows for a bit of insulation remembering to leave some ventilation.  Our ventilation is a few drilled holes at the top of the back wall of the shed and a slight narrow gap at the top of the window opposite so air can pass through way over their heads.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal