Author Topic: wasp nest HELP  (Read 1110 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
wasp nest HELP
« on: September 30, 2007, 18:58:50 »
I found a wasp's nest in an old compost bin, which we use for storing various things. It's right on our plot and I dare not move anything now! Will they die over winter? I tried to get something out and they got pretty angry! Luckily we got away without being stung - this time!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: wasp nest HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 19:11:54 »
only queens live through the winter as the worker wasps die but that will only be when the weather gets considerably colder, maybe a local bee keeper could move the bin for you (wearing the appropriate gear) or leave it well alone until later

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 19:19:28 »
Yes, the wasps will die once the cold weather comes, except for the queens which hibernate to start a new colony next year.

You can get aerosol wasps' nest destroyers, which are very effective.  Wait until evening, and give the nest a good squirt. Alternatively, if the nest is accessible, squirt some paraffin on it.

Once the wasps are dead, either through chemical attack or through cold, simply lift the nest out with a spade and dump it in the incinerator.

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 15:25:54 »
Any idea how cold it will need to get before the wasps will die. I've got the same problem. For months I've been watching something going in and out the bin. It appears someone else has tried to excavate them over the last week (maybe a fox or next doors cat!) and there is now a big hole at the bottom of the compost heap, leading to a white nest, probably below ground level. I've taken a couple of pics of the excavated structure.

I've also been stung twice in the past week!!

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 16:09:23 »
there was another wasp nest thread recently - might be worth a search  :) Our wasps nest was killed off be a perfectly mild south east England winter so you shouldn't have too long to wait  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal