Author Topic: Allotment 'chums' strike again!  (Read 1930 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Allotment 'chums' strike again!
« on: June 30, 2004, 12:52:02 »
Went to the plot today, as normal  ;D, and am so thrilled with how great it is looking and how well everything is growing!  My only failure has been things like green mustard and the rocket as the flea beetles love them, and I know I should fleece them, but I get carried away with other jobs and it isn't until I am getting into bed that night I remember all the jobs I forgot to do!  :o  My carrots haven't germinated as well as I hoped, but the seed was old and there are lots, I think I am just being greedy, after all, I do have 3 rows, and have just sowed another 3!  Whilst planning where major crops will live next year, our site secretary arrived.  She plots next to me, and as her garden backs onto the allotment site, she is able to bring her hose pipe over to water, which she very kindly offered to me, so all of my seeds, seedlings and salad crops had a darn good soaking.  Then she arrived with a crate containing 8 tomato plants, 2 sweet peppers and a pot of basil, asking if I could find a little space for them.  Well of course I can!  I had cleared the shallot bed and it was looking rather vacant, so now I have another 8 tomato plants in residence.  The basil and peppers have come home to reside in my already PACKED greenhouse.  Then, just to make my head swell, as I was leaving one of the other chaps arrived and he asked me if I am enjoying my allotment and I told him I love it, can't think of a better place to be weekday mornings, come rain or shine, and he said that my love for it showed by how wonderful my plot is!  (Smiling smuggly and getting all bashful  :))

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Allotment 'chums' strike again!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 13:07:21 »
E.J. The love you have for your lottie smiles through with every word you write. What wonderful people you have around you too. It makes all the difference doesn't it? I think they can tell how enthusiastic you are and that you're not just one of these 'fly by night' characters who rush in, get bored and rush out agian.

It's a wonderful feeling putting a meal on the table and knowing that all the veggies your family are enjoying are home grown.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 13:39:16 »
EJ I think you deserve to be proud. It sounds as though you work very hard. Enjoy your hard work and reap the benefits!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 13:57:05 »
That's wonderful EJ. and well deserved.  Your personality and love for gardening does shine through, especially on these boards.  But it is also nice to have it recognised by your lottie neighbours, they must be a nice lot of people.  A little encouragement and praise is a very positive force.  :D busy_lizzie

live your days not count your years

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 16:22:32 »
Comes across that you're a natural anyway, EJ, but it is good that your neighbours have the sense to show appreciation - so many people take on allotments and get discouraged because they get no encouragement.  I think you could teach some of us older hands a thing or two!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 18:43:40 »
Oh, lucky you EJ! Its cos they know you have a passion for it and will look after their donated babies!

I was on the other side of the coin the other day, watched a new allotmenteer struggling with her weeds on her plot, and bemoaning about what she could plant. She worked so hard to clear those weeds, so the next day I was a lottie fairy and donated a cucumber and a watermelon for her newly cleared space! We all do it I am sure, and I love to get other peeps doantions to me! Makes us a community !
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 22:32:23 »
Gee thanks guys (blushing kinda smiley would be good about here).  It is great to be able to share your plants and produce - well, it gives me a good buzz anyhow.  Speaking of which DP, baby gunnera isn't such a baby anymore.  Three leaves now and getting bigger by the day!  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 14:12:51 »
3 leaves EJ!! Aww twill be a teenager before you know it! ;D Glad to hear it is happy, if I could find my digicam, (it is here in this house SOMEWHERE!) I would take a piccie of Mum for you!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal