Author Topic: Building a cold frame using fridge shelving  (Read 5753 times)

18saughtonmains

• Not So New ...
Building a cold frame using fridge shelving
« on: October 17, 2007, 21:23:49 »
Hi ... I've recently acquired 5 fridge shelves and want to make a cold frame. Hope it's OK during frost :)

The problem is: I'm not very practical. My first design was an over-specced monstrosity; now I'm wondering how minimal I can get away with. It looks like gaffer tape will fix handles to the glass as long as I'm not using it too often. But does the glass have to slope? If not, I can just put it on top of some pallet wood that's lying around the plot.

Any tips? Thanks,
Alex

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: Building a cold frame using fridge shelving
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 21:49:32 »
One of the best coldframes I had at the begining of this year was a load of old bricks plonked on top of each other (no mortar) with an old window shoved on top. It was completly flat with no slope, I put some old polystyrene sheets inside (on floor and sides) for insulation but these were not essential. I grew some good salad crops in there from Feb onwards. I later took it down to use the space but it will go back up soon.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 22:41:15 »
Better if your glass does slope, '18'. That way most of the rain will run off before it has time to seep inside.
 I'm guessing what you have are 5 sheets of glass all the same size?
 It's a starting point but you'll more need in the way of insulation. What you might try is a bit of what GW has mentioned. Build sides out of bricks with possibly just one side with a couple of sheets of glass together for warmth. If you put cut to shape cardboard inside, it will give some protection and warmth, especially if you keep the wet out. If you cut strips from the cardboard to lay on the top of the bricks, you'll stand a better chance of sealing it with the glass although you'll have to keep replacing them.
Good luck with your venture, and look around for some bits of wood to make something a little more substantial with.
Ken.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 23:31:03 »
hi if you would like a plan to build from, look on the WIKI tab along the top tabs, then in the MAKING THINGS, then number 9 coldframe, i place this when i started my RHS coursework
hope this helps
windy
my allotment
heaven

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 18:20:38 »
welcome to the site, 18s..sounds like you have a plan, try it and see, if it doesn't work, try something different, we've used all the shelves from old fridges as shelving in the greenhouse  ;D

18saughtonmains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 09:13:10 »
a load of old bricks plonked on top of each other (no mortar) with an old window shoved on top.

Thanks. That sounds more stable than what I was considering, and I salvaged a pile of bricks when I took over the plot.

18saughtonmains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 09:18:48 »
If you put cut to shape cardboard inside, it will give some protection and warmth, especially if you keep the wet out.

Thanks. Nothing I planted from seed this year was successful, so I was planning on making a germinator; I've got some waterproof material that I'll use as the base, and will find some cardboard as you suggest.

18saughtonmains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 09:19:54 »
look on the WIKI tab along the top tabs

Thanks. The wiki looks like a nice part of the A4A site; I'll explore.

18saughtonmains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 09:24:18 »
welcome to the site, 18s..sounds like you have a plan, try it and see, if it doesn't work, try something different

Thank you. This first year has been unsuccessful, partly because I've over-analysed what I could do and never got round to doing it. Will build first, then ask questions.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 22:45:05 »
The design on the Wiki is like the one I've just made. I used tongue and groove floorboards for the sides. This is expensive to buy but readily available in skips. I have used other types of wood, mostly thinner but they don't give much insulation/frost protection when you need it.

Whatever design you go for watch out for parts that can let draughts in as these will kill plants in Spring. The parts that usually do this are at the corners. Also I hvae had cases of mice getting into frames through such gaps and eating all the french beans I set out.

I don't think the glass top matters too much; I have had broken panes in for years.

Using some non-toxic wood preservative is also a good idea.

Good luck with the frame - I found that they really make a difference and will sonn have four on my plot as well as a greenhouse!

powerspade

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 17:11:43 »
A little tip I was give for cold frames, line the inside with baco foil to reflect light

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal