Author Topic: seal with vinegar-proof tops - what???  (Read 14221 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
seal with vinegar-proof tops - what???
« on: October 20, 2007, 18:42:17 »
Hi Guys,

I am just making a couple of batches of apple and pear chutney http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/511785

Can you advise on how to steralise the jars and the instuctions say to seal with vinegar-proof tops well i am going to making smaller jars then the le parfet one in the pic and i have no idea what they mean by vinegar proof?

HELP?

Cambourne7

ACE

• Hectare
Re: seal with vinegar-proof tops - what???
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 19:10:55 »
Ive seen some tops that look rusty after vinegar has been used in them, perhaps that's it.

Best jars around are douwe egberts coffee jars, good coffee too and quite often bogof from morrisons. a nice tight fit with a poly grommet in the lid. Im always wary of the boiling water method of sterilising.  The dishwasher does them for us with a drop of milton and a tab.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 19:14:27 »
I sterilize jars in the dishwasher, but then just before use them, I put a centimetre of hot water in the bottom of each jar, and microwave on full power for two minutes, so that the water boils.  Then drain out water, obviously, and stand upside down for a minute or so on kitchen roll.  This sterilizes them and means that you can put the chutney in while hot without the glass cracking.

Vinegar proof means lids that don't have metal  that will come in contact with the vinegar. Kilner jars are fine - but so are most jam jar lids that have like a plastic covering on the inside.

Hope this arrives in time!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 22:19:13 »
HI Guys,

Your all great :)

Yes its arived on time as i started watching the blasted Rugby and next thing i know its 10pm eak.

Almost finished cleaning the top of the house so tomorrow we can work our way down the stairs and the bottom of the house will be a doddle so after lunch before be go to the lotty i will get the dinner on boeuf bourgogne and when we get back from the lotty i can finish cleaning and after dinner get the chutney done.

Hugs to everyone

Cambourne7

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 20:22:51 »
I have a double batch on the stove at the moment and its cooking away still cant wait to try it as its a weird mix of stuff so it would be fun to find out how it takes.

Going to have a hot bath after i have bottled it all up and an early night :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal