Photo Gallery > Photo Talk

Competition Changes -Have we gone too far?

(1/5) > >>

Garden Manager:
Can someone tell me what was wrong with a simple 'Photo of the month' competition? Nice and simple, just remember to send in your picture and vote.

Now it looks like you have to A) Work out which category your photo fits into and B) keep checking to find out when the next competition for that category is open. Then what about voting for the best/favorite photo in that category. More complications!

I think we are likely to get less members taking part under this system than the old one. most of us have busy lives and i for one have missed out on the last few months competitions due to other commitments. I think this trend might (sadly) continue, at least until I get used to the new setup or WE CHANGE BACK TO THE OLD ONE!!

I put the blame squarely at the door of our new moderator meself...... :o :P

star:
Hi GA,

Speaking as a relative newbie here, I wasnt sure where the 'Photo of the Month' actually was. I did see the posted winners but didnt ever see the photos. I found it confusing.

On the other hand I do understand how you feel (and others who know this forum well) about changes made when you found things perfectly workable before. I also appreciate how time is a premium for lots of people with busy lives.

In defence of the 'new moderator', its very difficult to organise new sections and headings, and to ultimately please everyone all of the time.

I would think that possibly, with named sections for funny, life, scenic photos it would make accessing the catagory easier and quicker for busy people.

Would the competition catagories not be a 'sticky', easily spotted for everyone?

There will always be hiccups with changes but they can be ironed out with feedback, time and patience.

Froglegs:

--- Quote from: star on October 17, 2007, 00:14:27 ---

There will always be hiccups with changes but they can be ironed out with feedback, time and patience.

--- End quote ---

+ Kenkew's obvious enthusiasm to make it successful, give it a go i say.

OllieC:
Sorry, did I miss something here? I thought there was a month long discussion, where we were all invited to get involved by posting our views and opinions before the changes were made.

I like the new layout - give it a go GA, you might just like it!

kenkew:
Some don't want to see change, some want 'some' change and there are those who want to see it expand even further to include pure digital art-work. I'm taking on board everything said and I've no doubt there will be changes made as we move on, changes to suit the majority but also to try and cater for the smaller 'select' groups.
 Splitting what was one contest into two categories is fairer. I pointed out before, how can you compete a pic of an 'exploding volcano' with a 'furry christmas kitten'? It's really just posting your picture in the right place. I don't see that as any more confusing than it was. So if anyone wants to post just one picture, well, the opportunity is still there and photo's in that narrower category will only be competing with others that fit the category. A fairer system, I think.
 Recent past threads have actually answered many of the questions still being asked. I know most people are in favour of broadening/extending the contest and many of those unsure are at least prepared to give it time.

The suggestions to date range from no change through to a possible 6 categories. I'm happy with two and eventually three for now. (and I now understand only too well Dan's reason for some assistance!)
I respect GA's comments but got a bit confused when he suggest no change but then put forward a suggestion to open the contest up to four categories. Anyway, let's walk along with this for awhile and once the lumps, bumps and hurdles have been ironed out maybe we can up the pace a bit and start 'jogging'.
Thanks, Ken.

PS: What first made me consider different categories was the August Comp. Two photo's there were vying for top slot. One was a scene shot and the other was one of a crab. To my mind both were worthy winners and both would have been had they been in their respective categories, as exists now. But because they were lumped into just the one section, we had two well supported photo's which would obviously have won in their own sections. Result? Two worthy winners, not one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version