Author Topic: We're so proud of him  (Read 934 times)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
We're so proud of him
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:42:10 »
This time last year one of my stepsons died suddenly in Belfast of a massive brain haemorrhage.  He was just 50, and it was a terrible shock for all of us.

He was fantastic person, always wanting to do what he could to help other people, especially if the problem involved anything electronic. A real techie,  not a nerd - he was interested in anything and everything.  He and his father were two of a kind, and we miss them both so much.

A few years ago he got involved in a project with the local school (the headmaster and he were friends) and I remember him talking about what he was doing, and there was a bit in the local paper at the time.  After his funeral the school said they wanted to plant a tree to commemorate him and his work, it got a bit delayed but the ceremony was last week -

http://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/display.var.1755528.0.school_plants_tree_in_benefactors_memory.php

(BTW His sons and wife are doing the planting, I'm the one in the mustard jumper)
The Tuscan Beaneater

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: We're so proud of him
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:05:07 »
And you're right to be proud of him, asbean. It's so easy to get tied up in our day to day stuff - people who manage to make the time to "give something back" are an inspiration to us all.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:25:23 »
I echo everything Ollie said, asbean. My son died 10 years ago and he didnt have a green funeral, I knew nothing of them then.

But I have planted a lovely Rowan tree at the farm were Im part of a co operative. It will always be there in memory of him. Just as the beautiful oak is for your stepson.

Love and hugs to you all on his 1st anniversary

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:49:17 »
what a lovely man he was, giving his time and encouragement, I'm glad they've recognised his efforts.. :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 14:17:22 »
asbean as others have said what a great man. Sad that he died at such a young age but he will surely be remembered for all the time and thoughts he had for the school.  All his family must be so proud.
Lorna

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 14:55:59 »
Your story has warmed my heart. You must be bursting with pride.

Cyber hugs
Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 17:14:44 »
A lovely tribute, asbean. The school was very lucky to have someone like him- maybe his story will inspire others.xx

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 20:16:06 »
You must be proud of such a great guy Asbean, why do all the good uns get taken away so early.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 21:59:43 »
What a fantastic person to have done that for the school. You are justified in being proud!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 22:07:43 »
how lovely.  We planted a tree in memory of my boss who died unexpectedly after 'winning' his fight with cancer.  He loved the outdoors and walking so we planted a 'mountain ash' - which I think is also the same as Rowan.  I think of him everytime I go by it and send him a smile  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal