Author Topic: Mail Order Plants  (Read 6825 times)

Kerry

• Hectare
Re:Mail Order Plants
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2004, 13:38:16 »
 :o what were they supposed to be Tim?! Makes me very cross when companies try to get out of their responsibilities, even when you are quoting 'should be fit for the purpose they are sold for' and of 'merchantable quality', which they're obviously not!
I've had plants through offers in the paper, most have survived, some better than others. They've mostly come via thompson and morgan.
The only real disappointment was some clematis that didn't live, of course all the ones I really wanted were the ones that died!
Cheers all.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2004, 13:41:14 »
Oh My! Tim you have got me really worried about my order now. No one has reported on T&M yet, but I will let you know when I have received my orders. Your poor plants!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2004, 14:12:29 »
Tim, your plants were positively the Jonny Wilkinsons of the world compared to the rotting, pathetic specimens I got.  Worse still, after I complained, the 'replacements' were just that - another identical lot.  Now I am suitably angry, if I can find the delivery note, I might have another go at them, on the other hand, the weather is fine and there are a lot of gardening jobs to attend to......

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2004, 15:06:54 »
Never had any problems with T&M thankfully. Plants always arrive in good condition and are well packed. The only thing that ever died on me was a Magnolia, which was a free gift 'cause I spent £25 or something like that, probably because of our Scottish weather.

Eileen.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 15:07:35 by eileen »

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2004, 16:37:06 »
Relieved to hear about T&M Eileen, but I would imagine complaining about plants is a difficult one. Still a little bit anxious about my order.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2004, 22:40:54 »
I ordered some plug plants from T&Ms for the first time this year. The cosmos and cerinthe have been terrific, double buzy lizzies less so and the cleomes rather disappointing - only 2 out of 8 left!. That could well have been my own fault though - they were bought as garden ready but were so small, I should probably have grown them on a bit in pots first! I'm sure your stuff will be fine Plocket.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2004, 09:01:16 »
Thank you for that reassurance Iain - I'll keep you posted!

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2004, 13:33:36 »
I've had lots of mail order plants, and I guess I have been lucky that only a small proportion have not thrived. AND that's using 'offers'! Lots from Thompson and Morgan, including lots of 'offer' perennials, all great. Got 3 new Clems this morning, so hoping for the best (last 3 'free' clems out and thriving). I do tend to pot them on immediately.  Have never bought anything pricey through mail order though (but then I can't really afford anything pricey!). Does anyone else find they have a 'favourite' potting compost? Mine is Durstons, as it doesn't dry out easily.  ;)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2004, 13:55:11 »
Hum. Don't know what compost I use. As long as it doesn't contain lots of  peat I'm happy.

What company delivered your clems CL? Just so I know who to look out for!!!

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2004, 14:24:42 »
Hi Plocket, first ones were T&M, today's a company called Lyncroft in Warwickshire.. ;)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2004, 14:31:07 »
Oops sorry - I meant were they delivered by Parcel Force, Interlink etc.?

Plocket x

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2004, 17:28:55 »
Whoops! By post (hand delivered by our v.nice postman!) and cheapest way...sent a jiffy bag and 1.15 stamps!!  :D

PS Tim, what a sorry sight! What were they supposed to be? Offer? Sacrifice more like....... :'(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2004, 09:41:27 »
A good selection of perennials.

But - having copied my post to them, I today received a full refund. = Tim

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2004, 13:38:56 »
That's better news Tim, but doesn't make up for the disappointment etc.

I've just heard that mine won't be coming until September time. I hope they don't charge me now!!!

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2004, 10:07:57 »
I just ordered some from Mill Farm Nursery via Ebay - they do 50 perennials for £15 plus £10 p&P. They arrived safely yesterday looking nice and healthy and with instuctions on how to look after them.  They obviously want us to get the best from their plants so I am hoping they all grow well!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal