Author Topic: Competition Comments  (Read 8273 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Competition Comments
« on: October 15, 2007, 16:34:17 »
Just setting things up....a little patience...be with all you itchy photo contributors very shortly.
Ken.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:07:10 by kenkew »

legendaryone

• Hectare
RE: Competition Comments
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 18:44:16 »
Thats great news ken  :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:10:59 by kenkew »
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Competition Comments
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 19:20:25 »
Ta! L'one,
Working on it...and last chance for suggestions from anyone!

Just to allay concerns I've received...the past Comp history will NOT be lost, I feel it's important to preserve that, not only as a reference, but there are some wonderful contributions in there and those worthy past winners will not be resigned to the bin!
 It's still going to take a little while to sort things out (doing it now) but I'm hoping to have things up-and-running very shortly.
 Thanks for all the patience.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:11:32 by kenkew »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 21:23:21 »
I've had quite a few E's while I've been assembling the 'new-look' contest section regarding my previous insistance of the non-use of digital photographic software.
 Without bending to pressure but listening to what's being said, I'm withdrawing that insistance. As has been pointed out, digital software is part of digital photography! That's a fact, plus there is a marked difference between using software to 'develop' photographs and using high-end enhancement programmes to 'doctor' them.
 I'm bowing out of this and leaving it to the voters to decide. Maybe at some time in the future we could look at creating a section with 'enhancement' in mind.
Ken.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:11:55 by kenkew »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:27:21 »
I think there has to be a limit to how much manipulation you allow, but I don't see any difference between, say, the use of filters or different types of printing paper to control contrast in black and white photography and the use of software to manipulate it on a digital image. I find I do it to almost every shot, as unless I'm taking pics in bright sunlight they tend to be lacking in contrast. if I was doing the old-fashioned type of photography, I'd increase it routinely, and nobody would turn a hair.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:12:16 by kenkew »

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:48:31 »
I think the majority of people on this site don't use software to manipulate their photos and that they enter the competition just for fun. I like many on here just point and shoot, transfer it on to the PC and then get it put it on here  :)
Perhaps there should be a separate category for manipulated pictures ?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:12:40 by kenkew »

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:49:08 »
If enough people want to, we could have an 'Effects Section' for photos which have had many wonderful effects performed.

Just a thought ...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:13:00 by kenkew »

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:49:24 »
I think the majority of people on this site don't use software to manipulate their photos and that they enter the competition just for fun. I like many on here just point and shoot, transfer it on to the PC and then get it put it on here  :)
Perhaps there should be a separate category for manipulated pictures ?

Great minds think alike!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:13:20 by kenkew »

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 09:06:11 »
 ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:13:41 by kenkew »

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 09:44:22 »
The new competition boards are looking good Ken :D Very pleased that you've allowed minor digital editing now, it makes sense to allow it. :)

I think an effects section could be lot of fun but would it get enough support as a competition and how much more work does it create for Ken to organise? Perhaps a board to post those types of photos in a sharing or non-competitive way would be nice? It could always be developed into a competition later if there is enough participation. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:14:04 by kenkew »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 11:46:09 »
As I said....
As has been pointed out, digital software is part of digital photography! That's a fact, plus there is a marked difference between using software to 'develop' photographs and using high-end enhancement programmes to 'doctor' them.

...Which basically means, how far people take the 'developing' has to be left for them to decide what's fair. As L'One pointed out, the competition should first of all be a fun thing which should allow all levels to compete equally. And let's not forget, many past winners of the contest have done nothing more than point and shoot with a pocket digi-cam and up-load the result into 'My Pictures'.

First I need to get the hang of running this newly extended contest, then, if there is enough interest, we can have a look at adding to it a dedicated 'Effects' section to see just what the A4A 'Techno's' are capable of! Now that should be fun!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:14:25 by kenkew »

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 13:05:07 »
Sounds great Kenkew, I love the idea of everyone being able to play at different levels. Even if the 'Effects' section doesnt run to competition  ( and I think it will, providing its not too much work for you) it will fab for us novices to look through.

I have nothing but admiration for anyone with creative knowledge and skill ;) And love looking at photos, enhanced or not.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 22:14:45 by kenkew »
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 22:17:40 »
Sorry about all the 'editing' mentioned in the posts, It's just that the heading 'New layout' will become outdated. The heading 'Comp Comments' is more fitting. There is an easier way to change it but I'm not familier with it yet.
                                                       :-\

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 22:54:15 »
Hmmmm. I wish you'd allowed a bit more debate before locking the thread I started.  My comments were not about the competition.  :(

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 23:02:46 »
You're right, Georgie, sorry. Just another minor hic-cup. Back where we were.
Thanks for that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 23:07:20 by kenkew »

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 23:10:27 »
Cheers  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 08:29:54 »
Purely a personal opinion, Ken - but I think the comments on the competition entries should be held back until voting is complete.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 08:37:28 »
Purely a personal opinion, Ken - but I think the comments on the competition entries should be held back until voting is complete.

Agree with that, Grandma.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 17:10:40 »
Funny you should say that. That was my original intention hoping that the comments wouldn't sway other voters. Then I thought, 'What's the point' if people wish to comment then they'll simply open another thread.
 I decided on a mid-way 'solution' by asking people to vote before commenting and hoping no reference would be made to the way they did.
 Well, almost worked, didn't it... :D
 I did have a second idea in my back pocket....and me thinks it might come out for the next round.... ;)
Thanks for taking notice.
Ken.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 18:42:39 by kenkew »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 08:59:41 »
I think that a short sentence as a sticky at the top of the section headings would do it?

"Please, no comments about your voting preference until after the comp. has ended and the winner announced"?...sommat like that?

After all, we're a well-mannered, well-behaved lot. Usually :P ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal