Author Topic: Pruning of cotoneaster  (Read 1400 times)

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
Pruning of cotoneaster
« on: October 07, 2007, 15:52:50 »
I have a 6 foot cotoneaster in the border (varity unknown). It is looking rather unkempt as as I don't think it has ever been pruned. It is showing a lot of nice red berries and plenty of new season's growth.

If I cut off all the new growth, will  have berries next year ? Do the berries grow on the mature wood ?

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Pruning of cotoneaster
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 18:42:55 »
Hi Learner, I found this link for you. I hope it's of some use  :)

http://www.mediacave.co.uk/winter_pruning.htm

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 20:13:54 »
Thanks Lauren ... contains loads of info ... but ... only covers the prostrate varieties ... don't know whether it makes any difference but mine is definitely upstanding.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 22:10:18 »
Perhaps if you post a photo of it maybe somebody might be able to I.D it for you.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

beth23

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 08:13:29 »
Hi - cotoneasters will flower and fruit on the growth it makes next year, so pruning is safe now, or you could wait and enjoy the berries over winter and do it at the latest just after you see new growth start next spring.

I had a nice upright form against a wall - I pruned it into an espalier which kept it tidy and also encouraged tonnes of berries every year.  If yours is too big or unsuitable in position for that, try to keep it in arching tiers (if unsure, look up a picture of viburnum mariesii to see what I mean) but definitely avoid making it into a dumpling. It looks unnatural and odd shaped like that, and becomes just a blob, instead of a nice shaped thing in its own right...

B xx

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 21:36:42 »
Thanks Beth,

that is exactly the information I needed. Will enjoy the berries this winter a prune late winter early spring.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 18:55:21 »
Sadly I lost all the flower on mine this year  :-X

... I have a tiny garden and someone in their wisdom planted cotoneaster right next to the patio as a hedge  :o ... why I always wonder  ??? ... but anyway, it grew so franically during the summer I had to give it another hair cut and thus lost the berries  :'(  ... can't win !!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal