Author Topic: Is It Worth A Try...?  (Read 1675 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Is It Worth A Try...?
« on: November 30, 2007, 18:37:12 »
I have a four foot space up behind my house that runs the entire length of my property. I'm trying to persuede hubby that it would be very useful to have it filled in with a perspex roof and an entry door (Far end is already fenced). It would be on the north side of the house. It does get the early and late evening sun. Could I use it as a large style coldframe or greehouse if I heated it or is it on the wrong side of the house?

Thanks in advance   :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Is It Worth A Try...?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 16:36:43 »
I would offer that light is more of a issue than heat and what kind of shading might be around the make lower light levels even lower - plants will draw towards the light that dominates when it isn't all round - maybe borrow a light meter from someone to check light levels out  :)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 19:30:20 »
I think if there is enough light for anything to grow it will be very tall and spindly and lean towards the strongest side light. Mabe the ideal condition for ferns which are happy growing under the shady canopy of trees.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 19:37:45 »
North facing is not the ideal site, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.  You could give it a try. I certainly would.

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal