Produce > Ponds 'n' Stuff

Sick Fantail

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dusty:
Teresa - many thanks  I have looked at the site and the first on diseases sound pretty close to Terri's problem.  I checked out the retail outlets and there is one at Gosforth very close to me and some others not too far away.    6.20pm now and so they are closed but I will get in touch with the gosforth acquatics tomorow.  I will let you know how I get on - many thanks.

Maggie, thanks again again again for you help.  I will see if the Gosforth acquatics know of Relax - just in case.   I will take a picture of her for them to look at and if necessary I could take her over for them to see - only about 10-15 minutes away.   She never seems to get distressed about me taking her out of the tank or putting her into a smaller bowl for salt baths or when I do a quite large water change.  the only time she has shown any distress is when I got her new tank and bought a very fine net to take her out of the tank with, previously I had always just put a clear glass bowl into the tank and let her slip into it, she hated the net and took quite a while to settle down after I had transferred her - so I have never used it again.

I had a small filter which obviously stopped working due to the bacterial medicine but I changed it to an underwater filter - I know it still does not work as a filter due to the medicine but it was to try to help the tank stay cleaner so that I did not have to keep changing so much water.

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow

Margaret:
Hi Dusty.I have had another good look tonight.TAP pond professional treatments make Relax,and i keyed in their name.It directs me to aquatic on line companies that supply tap products,but not one mentions relax.If you don't get any joy tomorrow,then it may still be worth ringing Water Gardening direct. I use them for all my pond stuff as they are local to me,but they are a mail order company as well.I wish i had thought about it before. anyway good luck tomorrow.

Chloe:
Hi Maggie,

Sorry to hear about Terri and I hope this might be of some help to you.  My firend had a goldfish with a large lump on it's side which then started to turn into a hole.  She took it out of her pond and kept it in a bucket, in the kitchen, and everyday she put some 'Savlon' on it.  It took a while to heal and go away but it did work.  Will find out from her if she put the savlon on once or twice a day but you have nothing to lose by giving it a go.

She was told about 'Savlon' from a fish breeder and at first I thought she was kidding but she wasn't.

Good Luck.

Dusty:
Have been over to Gosforth Koi Acquatics - they were very helpful.   They have suggested trying a different antibacterial and this one is internal antibacterial.  they said she should not be fed for 7 days after I have put this in the water as it works better if there is no ammonia being produced.  They have promised me she will not starve :o   I am not totally convinced but will not feed her until the 7 days are up.   She is being fed today and then I will do the water change and new meds tomorrow.

They have also said that if she gets worse and is becoming distressed I can take her along and they will put her to sleep with anaesthetic.   So I feel a lot better about that bit of it all now.

I was going to mention Salvlon to see if they had heard about it but totally forgot.   i wonder if anyone else has heard of the Savlon remedy.

thanks all - I will let you know how things go.

Chloe:
Hi Dusty,

I emailed my friend for you and she has given me details of what you should do, if you want to try it.  They are as follows:-

We took the fish out of the pond and put him in a bucket of salt water for 1/2 an hour ,no longer, try and get the water temperature similar to that in the pond.
The salt dosage is 2 ounces of salt per gallon of water, after 1/2 an hour take the fish out and put savlon on the wound then put him in same temp tap water, not pond.
Treat with savlon 3 times a day, until the wound heals.
Mine took 7 weeks, but it was a very big wound, so should take less if smaller.Make sure hands are wet before touching the fish.
Hope this helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version