Author Topic: Plant ID Please  (Read 1552 times)

Rain

• Quarter Acre
Plant ID Please
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:52:30 »
http://bp1.blogger.com/_rih0ykyhU0s/Rwn88RI1jTI/AAAAAAAAAAM/kHXafVLfEZY/s1600-h/October+2007+015.jpg

I'm a bit worried this picture is going to be huge... but can anyone please tell me what it is? We'd like to try growing some but don't know the name, I'm sure it's very common and someone will know. Thought it might have been an ox-eye daisy, but looked it up on google and they seem to be all white. Thanks.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Plant ID Please
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:07:34 »
it's a lovely osteospermum

Rain

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:26:01 »
Thank you Rhubarb Thrasher! I know they're well known, sorry to ask, I'm a veg person and trying to make the transition to start growing flowers too!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 20:12:43 »
They are really easy to take cuttings. I just break a bit off & stick them in a pot of gritty compost.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 20:23:48 »
I have the very same plant in my garden give to me from a neighbour's cutting. I had no idea what it was. I just called it purple daisy plant  ::)
Thanks Thrasher I can now use the correct name.
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 10:47:45 »
I am glad you say its easy to take cuttings from it. I love this plant fro sheer flower power in the summer, but have struggled to propagate it sucessfully and they only occasionaly overwinter well in my (mild but wet) garden.  Cuttings tend to rot before they root with me, although i did manage to get a few to take last year, and this years batch are looking promising so far.......... ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal