Author Topic: Intro & Couch question  (Read 2533 times)

YorkshireLass

• Not So New ...
Intro & Couch question
« on: October 13, 2007, 16:36:19 »
Hi all

I'm new here, new to allotmenteering and more than a little daunted by the state our newly gained (1 week) plot is in.... so, Hi there, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for all you seasoned folk!  ;D :o

In short, our plot was chest-high in all the usual nasties; thistles, nettles, bindweed etc etc, and loads of couch grass. In complete defiance of all the doom-mongering Round-Up fetishists we have scythed the lot down, and intend to deal with the site slowly but surely, employing various methods including digging, hand-weeding, green manuring, covering / mulching... and yes, maybe even a little Round-Up on certain areas.

My first question for all you good folk is this: when hand weeding couch grass roots, is there a size of root below which there is no need to weed? The thicker 'type' of roots are immediately obvious - some are already spouting in our 1st dug over patch, but at what point do these root remains become too small to be viable / worth picking out? I mean, is the fibrous stuff which is everywhere likely to regrow?

Thanks all for any advice you can give.

Charlotte

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Intro & Couch question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 16:46:25 »
hiya, charlotte, welcome to the site, nice to meet you
congratulations on getting your plot, ..as you weed it, it will be easier to weed, if that makes sense..nasties will grow back if bits of roots are left in..but they will be easier to get out as the soil is softer, as long as it doesn't get left too long, little and often's the way, we have one chap who just hoes, over and over, he reckons it weakens even the nasties   ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 16:54:20 »
It's true, for the first year you feel you are making no progress, especially in the early days, but weeding consistently, keeping the soil soft makes such a difference. I had to leave my plot for several weeks this year due to work commitments, and although it looked a bit scruffy (sunflowers blown over etc) the actual weeding was a doddle. A few hours' work and it looks back to normal.  Whereas a plot nearby, where they have a clear-up a couple of times a year, the weeds grow back thicker and faster.
The Tuscan Beaneater

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 17:15:46 »
Welcome to the site Yorkshire Lass...
Get as much out as you can... it(couch root) makes great compost if you can kill it first, either by totally drying it out or drowning it... then leave it in a compost sack for about a year...
 ;D

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 17:56:41 »
Hi there. I agree with what the others have said. couch grass is a pain but it can be defeated by constant uprooting. you will never get it all in the first go so dont even try. just get as much as you can. the 'good' thing about couch grass is that the roots are pretty shallow and dont go much deeper than about twelve inches (guessing). unlike the dreaded bindweed and marestail which can go down for several feet. good luck.  ;)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 18:59:11 »
Hi Charlotte
Welcome to A4A and congrats on your new lottie.
I just took over a new lottie five days ago, so I know exactly where you are.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 19:05:17 »
Hi, and welcome to A4A! Don't think there's anyone here who would say they've won the battle against the weeds, but most of us have found it does get easier if you can keep at it! Even bindweed, the bane of my life, which does reproduce fron the tiniest bit, can be at least reduced!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 20:53:57 »
Welcome to the forum.

I'd just take it slowly, mark out your borders and then take them one at a time so it seems less daunting, but I'd give the Round-Up a miss.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 10:25:36 »
Hi Charlie and welcome to the nuthouse, as said above get as much weed root out as possible, it will take time but will be worth it in the end. Cover the ground that will be dug last with cardboard or carpet this will weaken the weeds when you get round to digging that part of the plot, when the ground is dryer keep on top of regrowth with the hoe, as the  Scousers have said it weakens most weeds.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 11:31:45 »
Ok - one year on I feel I am winning the battle !

I used no chemicals - just elbow grease and persistance.  Dig out as much as you can, cover as much as you can, mulch, mulch mulch and mulch again.  Use cardboard, muck, compost - whatever you can get to cover as much earth as you can next summer - and the weeds should be packing their bags by then!

Mine are getting easier to get out as the bits that do re-root are nearer the surface.  Persevere without roundup if you can - after all - you will be eating the food from this ground next year (yes you will - you really will) - and you wouldn't pour roundup over you lunch would you?

Keep up the good work - we've all been there and it does get easier - promise!

Louise
X
Grow yer bugger grow!

YorkshireLass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 12:07:32 »
Thanks all for the warm welcome and words of encouragement - very much appreciated at the moment!

Have just ordered some garlic, onion sets, broad beans and winter lettuce (I know this last may be a bit optimistic) to go in our first beds, so that should keep up morale ... if they survive!

Charlotte

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 15:05:36 »
no reason why they shouldn't survive, charlotte, veggies are quite tough, or most of them are..sow some seeds in a pot, transplant into individal pots as they grow, by the time they are ready to go in the ground, you will have a place ready for them..relax, it's fun, honest  ;D

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 15:32:57 »
Hi Charlotte / yorkshire lass

I see couch grass in my dreams!!!! But after a year we are getting on top of it, it is a case of just digging out as much visible root as possible, I think the VERY fine ones like hair wouldn't be a problem.

Our plot was waist high in brambles, couch grass etc a year ago but we managed to clear it without chemicals and we've had the most wonderful crops.

Good luck, don't worry about the screaming, crying and dispair, you'll get there, sometimes it doesn't feel like you will but you WILL!

View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 15:33:15 »
I'm also hacking through virgin couch grass.  My method is to dig up turfs that are about the size of the spade and around four inches in depth.  I then hit each turf with a blunt instrament and give it a good shake (over the area I'm digging) to dislodge as much soil as possible from the soil from the root network.  I bung the remains of the turf/root network down the far end of the plot out the way.  Then cover the dug area with ye olde black plastic. 

Once I've gotten through a good sized area I uncover and attack it with the fork - removing any root that I find.  Once that is done I'm whacking in some green manure to keep it clear.

So far this method has proved OK - I did start by using Round Up but this dig and cover method seems to work just as well and I don't have the worry of putting poison all over my plot.  When I started growing veg in the cleared area I still had some couch trying to come up but a weekly weeding was enough to keep it under control.

YorkshireLass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 15:37:50 »
Indeed - Whack it with a blunt instrument - incredibly therapeutic isn't it!!!  ;D

We're getting there, slowly but surely, although I did manage to break the shaft of my friend's spade yesterday (oops) - maybe being a little too enthusiastic??!

Charlotte

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 16:05:54 »
I usually *bash* the clumps on my up turned fork. Well you can't waste good soil, can you?  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 16:49:57 »
Spuds seem pretty good at clearing beds

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 08:15:47 »
When I was getting the couch turf out of my plot, I Just piled it up and covered it with black plastic. There wasn't much else I could do as it was so thick. It's been a life-saver since, as I've been able to adjust the levels to stop floods pooling on the plot.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal