Author Topic: Kale Plants  (Read 766 times)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
Kale Plants
« on: October 11, 2007, 10:50:32 »
 ;D ;D  I have had 2 dozen small kale plants given to me, they are about 6" high and i want to put them in my veg patch. Do i need to lime the soil before planting and if i put them under lemonade bottle cloches will it help them along ?.
      Thanks Very Much.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Kale Plants
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:54:15 »
A bit of lime won't hurt if the soil tends towards acidic... the bottles will be ok for a month but the plants can get very big and some netting would be more use against pigeons. They don't really need protection from the cold weather, if we get any!
 ;D

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 19:11:13 »
 :) I always put lime in the hole when planting brassicas as it helps against clubroot.

Kale is extremely hardy so as Saddad says cover with netting if pigeons are a problem, slugs and snails will also have a nibble

been picking mine for a couple of weeks now my favourite veg ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 19:18:22 »
they are one of mine too shades

if you like kale do try the red variety - I grow the curly, red and black and in the bed where they are they look a fabulous array of colours altogether, I can hardly bring myself to cut them  :'(

g'veg if the weather stays warmish (look out for the full moon at the end of the month) then a plastic bottle over them might encourage pests but netting essential as sad says

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 13:46:28 »
 ;D :) :)   Thank you all very much for your help.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal