Author Topic: Swiss Chard  (Read 1039 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Swiss Chard
« on: October 07, 2007, 15:24:42 »
Will it start dying off now or see me through Autumn/Winter?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Swiss Chard
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 17:31:19 »
With protection (or a mild winter) it should still be harvestable.  If not, you will get a fresh flush next spring that can be harvested, before it runs to seed.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 18:55:01 »
can be quite tough and withstanding even frosts but often succumbs eventually - we seem to be quite a long way off the really bad weather - cloche if you feel you need extra protection

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 09:35:08 »
My plot's fairly sheltered, and I was harvesting leaves from mine all through last winter and well into spring. In the end I dug it up and composted it as I needed the space for other things!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:52:55 »
Same here Rob, my 'Bright Lights' chard lasted all winter with no protection and just got bigger and bigger despite regular harvesting.........they were enormous when I eventually dug them up in spring!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 21:30:49 »
Hope this works for me Ive got some rhubarb chard in this year, it's still tiny so I hope it gets big early enough to toughen up for winter

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal