Author Topic: How many spring bulbs in pots for lots of colour  (Read 1690 times)

cocopops

• Acre
How many spring bulbs in pots for lots of colour
« on: October 08, 2007, 19:09:55 »
Several times in the past I have planted spring bulbs in containers; the displays were sad to say the least.

I have containers that sit on my wall which failed dismally with their summer flowers.  I would really love to have some flowering plants in the Spring.  Pretty much everything I planted in the ground was eaten by my pups, so at least they will be safe on the wall.

I sawe a special offer today, 100 bulbs for 9.90 Euros (£7.50ish).  I bought one pack, but thought I should have had at least two.  My OH (not a gardening expert), prefers to buy plasterboard than plants, and said that I definately have enough :-X  I have five 1m x .2m planters and six 0.5m x 0.5m pots. The contents of the pack includes 30 Darwin tulips, 10 narcisses, 30 muscaris d'Armenie (????????) and 30 crocus.

Any advice on quantities of bulbs, and planting on top of them after, would be greatly appreciated.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: How many spring bulbs in pots for lots of colour
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 09:37:09 »
Depends what you want to do with the planters afterwards.

If you want a good display, which once finished you can move out of the way for the summer, then plant up in any old compost and pack in as tightly as possible. Daffs on bottom, then tulips, and mini iris/crocus etc on top. (Keep muscari separate because their leaves come at a completely different time of year). Cover with wire mesh ifyou have squirrel problems, or pansies/violas/polyanthus etc. Once they've died back in May/June sometime, tip out and save biggest bulbs. Replant with summer display.

If you want it to last year after year, plant up in a compost/John Innes mix, and space the bulbs out at least one width apart. Then when you get to the end of the season, carefully remove spring plants, add in summer stuff carefully and enjoy. You will get a decent display the following year of daffs, maybe not tulips though as they take a few years to get back to flowering level.

I tend to keep my daff planters separate from the tulips. This year I've planted them up with lots of bulbs so I've a cheerful display next spring, using sieved garden compost, anything left over from old plant pots and old bags of multipurpose. Bulbs don't need much in the way of nutrients for year 1 so are a good way of using up bag ends.

Given your multipack, I'd go get a lot more narcissus! And make sure you cover over to stop squirrels or other four legged beasties getting at them!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 19:09:01 »
Thank you moonbells for your very informative reply.  I definately will buy more bulbs, but at least I know now how to plant them, and use the same pots again for summer colour.

Best wishes

Cocopops

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 23:03:30 »

I saw a special offer today, 100 bulbs for 9.90 Euros (£7.50ish).  I bought one pack

Ahhh, there may lie your problem. Cheap bulbs=cheap and disappointing display. You get exactly what you pay for.

Buy good quality, named bulbs and note what you buy. If they do well and you like them, buy more next year.

Bulbs from Pound shops and Wilko are cheap, but they don't know/can't store them properly or look after them.
Bulbs from a national garden centre should be top quality, but will definitely be top price.
I find local independent nurseries a good compromise.

Always remember bigger bulbs= bigger/more flowers.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 16:06:03 »
Hi Cocopops, i planted all my containers in the last week, i pull all the summer stuff out sprinkle a handfull of plant food in the pots and away i go  good quality bulbs which has been mentioned . I put lots of tulips then cover then lots of daphs cram them in then lots of crocus i have never been dissapointed yet i have filled 9 pots in this way for years.  I also put lots of TETE A TETE in my hanging baskets & cover them with pansy & polyanthus they grow through lovely.  good luck with yours  Oh yes do buy some more bulbs the more you get the more they will cheer you up in the spring , such a lovely time of year don`t you think?.  Rosebud. ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 22:15:29 »
I stuck some cheap daffs in the lane outside my plot. After a couple of years, they're OK, but it's not that much of a display. I wouldn't bother with the cheap ones if I was putting them inside the garden.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 19:56:20 »
Thank you all for your input.  It makes me understand now why my 'bargain' gladi's were a waste of time  ::)

I will go looking for better quality bulbs tomorrow as it is really disheartening to plant bulbs that do not perform.

I had not thought about the hanging baskets so some good ideas there, thank you.

Cocopops

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal