Author Topic: Sweetpeas  (Read 1299 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
Sweetpeas
« on: October 10, 2007, 19:02:39 »
I have just planted my sweetpea seeds for next year. I plan to be overwinter them in my cold frame. I was told to sow them indoors then place outside, will they need hardening off or will they be OK this time of year to go straight out as they are just starting to germinate?

Gary

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Sweetpeas
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 20:19:43 »
I reckon as soon as they're up and growing, put them in the coldframe while it's still relatively mild so they get used to being outdoors (only IMHO tho').
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 22:18:11 »
They only need the slightest bit of protection, so they should be OK.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 23:19:45 »
Sweet peas are very hardy. They should be kept as cold as possible overwinter to stop them getting too tall and leggy. They do not like being molly-coddled. Mine are sown in deep pots in the GH and then when about half an inch high they are put into an open cold frame until planted into the garden in March/April. I would only consider covering them if the temperature was likely to drop very low. The pots are sunk in peat or used grow bag contents to protect the roots a bit from frost.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 13:14:53 »
I generally sow mine in spring,but last year I tried autumn sowing............never again......too much hassle in spring when they start growing again. Plus I had a poor crop this year but I won't put that down to the sowing period, more likely the abnormal weather this year.

The reason I like sowing in spring is; they can be grown without a 'check' and mine seem to respond to this treatment.

So I think it is simply a case of what suits you best..... do!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal