Author Topic: First harvest  (Read 2410 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
First harvest
« on: June 27, 2004, 19:01:33 »
Hi everyone,

I've been harvesting things in between the rain showers! So far I have picked all my autumn onions, one type of garlic and 30 blackcurrants. Plus a small handful of raspberries that didn't even make it to the car.

It's fun this is!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:First harvest
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 23:12:43 »
Many congrats, its a wonderful feeling.

I pulled the rest of my autumn onions today as well, and the only two garlic bulbs that grew!  "Robbed" one potato from each of my Kestrel plants as well.  Wandered home chomping on radishes - lovely

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 23:22:21 »
Oooo yum Tenuse!  No rasps for us, but the kids picked a big bowl full of loganberries today.  Delish!  :P

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 08:39:08 »
3lb raspberries yesterday! and still drowning in strawberries and gooseberries!!!

had a nice meal fo roast pork with new potatoes, roasted turnips and red onion and broad beans - all home grown except for the pig  ;D

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 08:52:00 »
that's it Legless, you've driven me to become an outlaw strawberry grower!  When the council handed over our site to self-management, the deeds drawn up state that no plant that repeat crops e.g. strawbs, asparagus, gooseberries can be grown.  Being a newbie and a good girl I've followed this the first year, but as ever other bu**er on the site has at least strawberries, I'm going to join the criminal fraternity!  I'm sure Durham jail could do with a veg plot - and you'll all come and visit won't you!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 19:46:57 »
i've always wanted to be a bad influence!! ;D

raspberries are freaking me out though, there were none ripe when i went to the allotment today but then there were loads to pick when i left, ripening before my eyes!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 16:11:44 »
my first harvest on sunday was 3 tiny potatoes, 2 raspberries and 1 french bean.  Think I may have been a bit premature. ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 16:42:16 »
- or somewhat unlucky? = Tim

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 18:15:51 »
Ooh ooh today it is the Pepper's turn!! For lovely spaghetti bolognaise, with one nice big green pepper wot I growed myself!!!!

Ten x

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 18:26:03 »
Ooooh lucky you Ten, my green pepper is still little but I'm watching it every few hours hoping it will have a growth spurt! Enjoy your spagbowl!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 19:18:10 »
not my first harvest, but this evening picked broad beans for tea, passing on the way the raspberries which did not make it back to the kitchen!
looking forward to tasting things that I have not grown until this year, peas, cauliflower, a successful cucumber (please!) which I haven't so far managed to kill!
 :) :)

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 15:40:44 »
Yesterday we harvested our first ever potatoes - Pentland Javelin - we got 14 good sized potatoes and one marble, altogether they weighed 3lb so that's not bad going. And they were so lovely and tasty!!

In fact - we are so proud - that we took a picture of me proudly holding them in their basket. We're going to send it to all our friends that have just had babies and keep sending us pictures of their indistinguishable infants. Now at last we can show them our babies!!!

Ten x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal