Author Topic: Yorkshire Puds  (Read 4679 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Yorkshire Puds
« on: October 07, 2007, 23:10:46 »
I want to be able to make great reliable yorkshires instead of using Auntie B's all the time.
Does anybody have a good recipe that never fails, please  :)

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: Yorkshire Puds
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 23:40:16 »
I don't follow a recipe I just throw some plain flour into bowl, create well and break 2/3 eggs into it and small amount milk, whisk gradually adding more milk until you get runny batter consistency.

Now here is the secret, you need to put your Yorkshire pudding tin into the oven with oil in it, get the oil smoking hot (it really will smoke) THEN pour the batter mix into each individual indentation. Getting the tin and oil this hot before really does make the difference, also put them into the oven but don't keep checking them as they will collapse each time you open oven door.

I dont normally use a yorkshire pud tin with small indents, I usually use a big baking tin so you make one HUGE pudding that you then cut up, we also always had it as a starter before our main meal when I was a kid, the proper Yorkshire way!!  :P
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 23:46:17 »
I didn't know it was eaten BEFORE a meal. Odd that it's called a Pudding then.  ???

I think I could eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner any day if they are home made  ;D

Thanks for the recipe.
Lauren  :)

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 23:49:05 »
You can have them as a desert too.. yorkshire puddings with ice cream and maple sirup.  :P
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 06:57:51 »
I still vouch for AWT's recipe - & in an oven sized tin.

Pud? Butter & brown sugar or Golden Syrup!

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 07:40:44 »
hi Lauren, this is Jo M M's wife i had problem years a go getting my yorkshire puddings to rise.........thats when i saw a cooking program which gave a never fail reciepe............ so i tried it and it works EVERY time as long as you stick to its rules...........
decide how many you wanting to make..........
then find a cup/jug or bowl (the larger the container the more puddings it makes)
you fill your cup with MILK
then fill same cup with SELF RAISING FLOUR
then same cup again with EGGS
then using a hand mixer mix all together adding a little salt n pepper
the earlier you make your mix the better ie having lunch at 3pm make your mix at 9am.....
when ready.........put your lard in trays and put in oven on highest setting for a minimum of 10 mins to ensure it sizzles when mix is poured on (this IS important) then using a fork give your mix a whisk just before putting into the trays..............cook on full heat for approx 15mins    (thats if your fan assisted)
i have never failed once with this reciepe...........i sometimes have puddings stuck to my other shelfs they get that big...............i have also given this to about a dozen friends and they all have had success...................just remember these simple rules...........SAME AMOUNT  of ALL ingredients, make it as early as possible, ensure fat is piping hot and you'll never go wrong..........
let me know how you get on
Joanne

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 07:44:10 »
can vouch for em lauren..........as a true yorkshireman.....but never had em as a pudding..........always as a starter with lashings of thick onion gravy!
enjoy!

ps.........the boss says to tell you that measurment wise.....a normal drinking mug ..(when used to measure out eggs flour and milk)....will make enough batter to make three 4gang pudding trays..........?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:48:46 by marestail murderer »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 08:44:23 »
That, MM, is virtually AWT's recipe?

But I find it better to decide how many eggs you need & then match the other ingredients to that.

torquil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 10:42:03 »
   I after agree with glouster womble  on way it is done, does nobody use salt and pepper  find hand mix with a fork best it is just amatter of getting air into mixture.let it stand for a while.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 11:27:08 »
My mum will kill me if she finds out I've published her secret Yorkshire pud recipe, so don't tell!!  ;)

Mums Barnsley Yorkshire Puds for 2

8oz plain flour
2 pinches salt
3 eggs
pint milk

Cook in a hot oven for 20 mins

These turn out really creamy and rich, mum puts a dab of butter and oil in the tins and only puts the mixture in when the oil is very very hot.........

PS mum puts everything in the food processor then lets the mix settle

PPS As a Yorkshire gal I'm with marestail murderer on this issue! we always have our puds as a starter with yummy thick onion gravy!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:31:43 by Biscombe »

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 12:23:51 »
Make the day before

Put in liquidiser:
1/2 pint milk
2-3 eggs
pinch salt
Whizz till well mixed

spoon in 8 oz SR flour
Keep whizzing while spooning in until well mixed

Put into fridge till needed, preferably the next day.  Then get dish (or we use muffin tin for individual portions) put in oil and into oven till the oil is smoking.  Then whizz mix again, and pour into oiled dishes.  Cook until ready.  Never fails.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 12:40:13 »
Funny! mum uses plain flour and the always rise ok, not as fluffy but really rich and creamy

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 13:39:55 »
Try adding a little/replacing some of the milk with sparkling water.  Helps the mixture rise and gives a lighter finish.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 20:58:45 »
then same cup again with EGGS

Hi Jo,   guess who's going to be trying this recipe this weekend!!  Yum!

I just wanted to clarify re the eggs situation (and this may be a stupid question but I had to ask before I do it!) :  when you say fill the same cup with eggs, do you mean cracked eggs or eggs in their shells?

The reason I ask is that you could fit far more cracked eggs into a cup than shelled ones!  Sorry, dim question I know but I thougth I'd better find out before making a big mistake!

Thanks again for posting!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 22:19:05 »
Thanks for all the fab recipes.

Suzi I'm sure the recipe means broken eggs, minus the shells love.  :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 23:40:12 »
Lauren, Glosterwobble, is the real Yorkshire pud said from a Yorkshire tut. ;D ;

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 08:13:54 »
oooooppppppppppsssssssss!
sorry for the mess if anyone followed the recipe printed above..........the flour used is actualy PLAIN FLOUR.........not self raising as previously stated.

is that so tim?..........never watch the programe..but wife did say it came from a cookery program so it could be...........

suzi................lol...............not a dumb question at all...............thats the way id probly do it......lol...................but it is minus shells................and id probely have to be told to take flour out of the packet.......and milk out the bottle too...lol...

going back now to alter the wifes original post.........but dont tell her!..(just tried and cant alter ......)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:28:20 by marestail murderer »

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 20:17:09 »
I've always found gary rhodes' recipe works a treat every time & it really IS most important to get the fat smokingly hot so the batter sizzles when you pour it in.

For pudding: with lemon curd, yuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  ;)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 22:22:20 »
... as a starter - history has it that the YP was often the best bit of the meal and it was dished up first so that there was a better chance of getting it eaten before the marauders came. Who knows? A similar theory is attributed to glass-bottomed tankards.
   Vague tips: One large egg to 4oz flour seems about right in this house; Tim's suggestion of an oven-sized tray works best but for individuals I use Pyrex ramekins because they retain their heat longer than a 'tin'. As kitten says, the mixture must sizzle as it is poured in. Re adding sparkling water: you can use beer too.  :o

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

longlad

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 01:47:46 »
its called a pudding cos you used to have your main meal served in it (so it was used as plate/bowl) and when you had finished your main you already had your afters ;D

thats from the heart of north yorkshire
oh bugger its raining

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal