Author Topic: How rotted is rotted?  (Read 1323 times)

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
How rotted is rotted?
« on: October 06, 2007, 22:34:14 »
Hi all,

I am the proud owner of a load of horse manure today, most of it is about 3 months old but some of it is younger.

I know that I need to leave it to rot down, but how long should that be for? 
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: How rotted is rotted?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 22:38:15 »
Is there heat comming off this and it it in lumps? Thats usualy how i tell its fresh.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 22:48:01 »
it is in lumps, but it wasn't warm as I'd uplifted it from its original location, transported it in an open airy trailer and then decanted it to the back of the lottie.  I'll check for any heat coming from it tomorrow.

I know it's fairly fresh, most of the straw is still strawlike (has come from stables) and some of it had only just been pooed out today!!
SnooziSuzi

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 22:51:37 »
Wish I could have a delivery.We are not allowed any due to the foot and mouth restrictions.I can't take my dogs with me to the lottie either  :'( :'(
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 23:09:50 »
I,v been offered a truck load of cow poo for £25 it will have to be dumped in the car park and barrowed down to the plots how many barrows in app 5 ton would you say :-\ snoozisuzy I was reading in KG today it dosn,t need to be rotted if you are spreading it on bare ground for the worms to take down it also says to cover it with cardboard hope this helps you, can antbody help me pref with a couple of barrows  ;D
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 23:26:07 »
Approx 5-6 wheelbarrows per ton dependant on the size of your barrow.

I find that i can fit 2 recycling boxes on top of the wheelbarrow which allows me to carry about 3/4 more :)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 01:24:41 »
Approx 5-6 wheelbarrows per ton dependant on the size of your barrow.

If you can push 200 kilos around I'm not going to argue with you. :D
10-15 barrows to the ton is a more manly number or 30 if you're a pole.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:27:23 »
yes I'd agree with Eristic. I've moved about 12 barrowloads and there's still half a ton left to move.

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 14:54:19 »
Like `theothermarg` I just pile the manure I get on my empty beds from now throughout winter - most of this still has traces of straw and is `lumpy`

I'm of the "no-dig" theory , and despite me putting a good couple of inches on top and not digging it in, come the spring its all broken down into the soil and I just plant straight into it.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 15:30:18 »
It never ceases to amaze me just where it all goes to. I like to top-dress all overwintering crops, flowers and bulb areas at this time of the year mainly to make things look pretty but most of this seems to vanish over the winter. Still, the time to worry is when the horse stops producing it.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 15:36:26 »
I know that I need to leave it to rot down, but how long should that be for

Depends if you are planting in it right after laying/digging it in.

If you are not planting in it then it is OK to dig it in or mulch with it then it will have time to rot down.

For instance the load I have just had delivered is not quite rotted down but I will incorporate in my winter digging and it will have rotted down by the time I plant out next spring.

If you plant in fresh manure you will find it might be too hot for the plant roots(caused by decomposition) , plus the decomposition process can also pull nitrogen, that otherwise would have been needed by the plants, from the soil.

I hope that makes sense

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 17:18:06 »
Thanks Tee Gee,  I wasn't planning on putting anything into the soil until springtime, so there's a good 6 months for it to incorporate and rot down, so I think I'll spend the weekend putting it into my new beds.

Thanks for clearing that up for me  ;D
SnooziSuzi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal