Author Topic: With Straw...?  (Read 997 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
With Straw...?
« on: October 06, 2007, 20:26:01 »
I'm fortunate to have a ready supply of horse manure from sis in laws horses.
My dilemma is....Do I opt for fresh horse manure picked up daily from the horse field which when piled up becomes very hot...
Or...do I use the manure mixed with straw that comes from their overnight stable, which is cold manure  ???
I want to add to my raised beds then cover with plastic over winter.

Thanks...Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Re: With Straw...?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 23:26:55 »
I reckon the cold with straw tho if you are spreading it around perhaps it doesn,t make much difference. as i said on another thread KG mag reckonsto cover it with cardboard which rots down I would think plastic would keep it dry and dis courage the worms from doing their stuff
perhaps someone more knowledgable then me would disagree :D
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:16:04 »
The way I see it is you have the choice of walking round the field with a shovel and wheelbarrow or parking up at a ready made pile of it sh. If you need the exercise, walking the field will do you good otherwise take the easy option and load up. The important factor is to get your share and get it when it's convenient.

Although I have access to a virtually limitless supply of horse manure, I also have to contend with traffic. Last Sunday I had planned on getting three vanloads in but a car broken down at Hangar Lane gyratory followed by a dead bus and a nearly dead motorbiker meant that a 15 minute drive took nearly two hours so I settled for just the one.

What I do is stack the manure in the bulk builders sandbags then use as needed, typically within a few weeks. When at the stables I will take the opportunity if possible to dig into the older stuff but if fresh is all there is, fresh is what I take. Hot or cold it gets used when I require to use it and I find that it is so bad for the plants that they all leap out of the ground in an effort to get away.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 15:28:18 »
Eristic, do you have to pay for it?? Where did you go as you was a Hanger Lane near us?? Not Ealing Stables at Ealing Common maybe?

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 20:46:29 »
Yes! Ealing common riding school FREE to take away, bring your own bags, buckets and tools. The only problem is the North Circ.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal