Author Topic: Melon Sucess  (Read 949 times)

Stevens706

• Acre
Melon Sucess
« on: September 24, 2007, 11:12:53 »
Hi, just thought I would share with you probably my best success of the year.

This is the first time I have tried to grow melons, the Tiger and Watermelons failed but this Cantaloupe variety ‘Charentais’ was great. I only grew one plant, in a frame but got six fruits of it and my daughters devoured them. I still have one left on the plant to save for seed which I will offer for swap in the swap shop.

Pigletwillie

• Quarter Acre
    • Hilltop Adventures Blog
Re: Melon Sucess
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:39:48 »
well done,

mine went out late due to the appaling weather and now have 4 melons the size of ping pong balls on the plant. Somehow I dont think that the weather will hold long enough for them to get big enough and ripen enough to eat.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:41:58 »
They look yummy.  Would like to try to grow some myself next year.  Did you have them on the lottie or in the greenhouse?
Twinkletoes

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 12:09:49 »
Hi Twinkletoes, I grew them in a Frame on the allotment, this frame was just a wooden box affair with old double glazing windows over the top, I quite neglected them never feeding them only watering them. If you PM me I will send you some of the seeds I have saved.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 12:20:33 »
Howdy Stevens706 - would love some seeds please. Have sent PM.  Not done this before so I hope I have done it right.  From what you say, sounds easy enough to grow - I'll let you know this time next year how I get on!  Some others on our allotments have grown pumpkins so I am sure I can get a melon to grow (she said bravely!)  ;D

Twinkletoes

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 14:20:36 »
Great Fruit, let me know how you did it please.  Just cleared 3 plants from the g/h all that was on mine were loads of tiny fruits that had gone brownish. Well done though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal