Author Topic: Egyptian Onions  (Read 746 times)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Egyptian Onions
« on: October 04, 2007, 10:32:26 »
Hi and good morning all,

I have had a couple of Emails regarding what I do with my Egyptian Onions over Winter, thought it might be of interest to a wider audience

Egyptian Onions: (Tree Onions, Walking Onions)

I leave the 'Mummy' Onions in the ground, they withstand the Frost, when we lived in Scotland this was often minus 4 or 5 C.

The 'Babies' I leave on the the plant until 'Mummy' stems are dry with no sign of green. I then pot the 'Babies' into 3 inch pots and put in cold Greenhouse or Cold Frame for the Winter.
They are usually in little clumps of from 3 to 6 Bulbils which I leave as they are and split them in Spring when they are growing away.

Hardly any water needed, just enough to stop the compost turning to dust.

In March/April pot up to 5 inch pots or plant direct into the ground any time when the ground is not frozen.

They are remarkably hardy

Cheers
Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Egyptian Onions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 10:43:07 »
I'm just going to be planting mine, both full size and baby.

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 16:33:52 »
I have thirty in a seed tray about six inches high now, bought on flea bay, do I plant them in a row now, if so how far apart please?, I have never grown them before, any advice welcome.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 21:24:44 »
Last year I had a bunch of the babies; I planted them in a row 9 inches apart and they did fine. The babies could possibly go a bit closer, I'm not sure about the big ones.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal