Author Topic: Hamsters  (Read 3553 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Hamsters
« on: October 02, 2007, 21:00:06 »
The kids want a hamster, I don't really do pets but OH seems to have caved in , I thought a hamster was a hamster but apparently the are loads of different types, any suggestions ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Hamsters
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 00:53:28 »
I suggest something like this? 

Or if you want to go a little up market, perhaps one like this? 

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 20:41:29 »
Cheers for that Sam, but for once in my life I was actually being serious, they've bought the cage and all the bits and bobs and are going to buy one on Saturday. Now they are looking through name books, God give me strength.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :'(     ;D ;D ;D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 20:44:18 »
sorry savage but my guess would be that the top piccy is of a guinea pig.
hamsters are really cute, males are normally much more friendly, long haired ones need more looking after, grooming etc and it has been known for them to get their long hair tangled in stuff. russian dwarfs are always sold in twos for company but nearly everyone i know who had these one ate the other or they had babies
they make fantastic pets only downfall not very long lived

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 21:01:50 »
I was also told to have two Russian's as they are the only ones that like company.  They absolutely hated each other, and I ended up with two of everything.  I should have known better as the pet shop I bought them from the little things were 'boxing' with one and other.

Apparently rats are much better caged animals, they can reconise their names and love human company.  Personally I would have guinea-pigs, they can be kept in or outdoors, their squeeking is lovely, and handled from an early age they are really tame.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 13:47:14 »
Every Hamster I ever had bit me. They are just not nice little critters,they have attitude! When they do bite,they hang on whilst doing it and then end up getting flicked through the air by the person they are trying to maim as he/she tries to release themselves from the pain. Had to wear gloves for a time with my last one . Even though I handled her loads,she still was a nasty girl and never wanted to be disturbed.  They try to hibernate anorl,people think they are dead when they find this cold stiff little body but often times they can be warmed up and brought out of their sleep. Unless they really are dead,then you are well and truly buggered and have to sneak off to the pet shop and buy one identical and hope nothing is noticed. And they are a wee bit boring  :-X.

Now Gerbils...I love them. I would always recommend them for kids as pets. They are friendly,never bite and you can really play with them. I used to set up an assault course for mine...with cassette tape boxes...blimey remember those?! I had two male gerbils, Vic and Bob,they lived just over 4 years. They like to shred all your paper to bits so I would give Vic and Bob all the paper out of the shredder and they would sit for ages nibbling it, making a nest...then I'd come along to clean them out and make them have to start over again. Excellent paper security measures! Then on to the compost.If you have a fish tank you can keep them in one of those...filled with sand you can see them tunnel. Never did that though so I don't know how you clean them out in that situation.  They can chew through those plastic bits and bobs that you put in the cages though. Gerbils are  8)   

Good luck and I hope you find the hamster of your kid's dreams   :) !

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 14:44:12 »
Hamsters are very useful if you have bladder control problems.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 09:59:05 »
LOL @ Ollie  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 10:59:51 »
Well they got their Hamster yesterday, we'll see how long their interest lasts.  ???   :-\     ;D ;D ;D

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 11:25:14 »
Well all I can say is..............I hope you got a male!!!!

Coz the females bite - the little Buggers!!!

Males are calmer and none of mine have bitten me!

I made the mistake once of buying a famlae because daughter said "she was the cutest looking"........... she was evil incarnate that one!! Bit right through to the bone of my finger - twice - before I learned my lesson!

Oh - btw - the good thing is the bedding can go on the compost heap!!

Louise
X
Grow yer bugger grow!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 19:34:40 »
A female Lou. :'(    ;D ;D ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 19:53:11 »
We had hamsters for a while - the first one, Charlotte, didn't gnaw at all so we had to keep taking her to the vet to have her teeth clipped, and then she bcame incontinent whan she became old! The second one, Husky, seemed quite normal after that!

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 20:38:05 »
We had gerbils for a while when #1 child was small.  They were fine for a while, but smelly because we had a 4' fishtank filled with wood shavings so that they could make tunnels and they did!

Well, I thought they were all girls, but clearly there was a boy in there somewhere ::) Unfortunately, the mother one decided to go on a bloodfest one day and chewed all of the babies legs off!!  :-X

After that event I was cleaning the tank out and replacing the sawdust and I thought I had collected all of the gerbs but one of them was still in the tank.  Suffice to say that gerbils and dyson's don't mix  :o

She was ok though; got stuck in the end of it because of her big bum!  ;D
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 20:43:23 »
I had several hamsters over the years and on the whole the males are definitely much friendlier!! I did have one female who was very sweet, but the others, especially one (who bit the vet while swearing and chattering her teeth!) were definitely EVIL although they looked adorable. I think female hamsters have their reproductive cycle every 3 -4 days, so they may well have been suffering from permament PMT!!!! Females tended to  be cleaner in their personal habits and fussier about their toilet area, but I still don't think this made up for the general bad temper! On the plus side, hamsters tend to move more slowly than gerbils so if they escape they are easier to catch before they run behind the fridge or washing machine. (I speak from experience!)  Many of them are little Houdinis though. A friend's hamster recently disappeared for a fortnight and could be heard running up and down the cavity wall of the house and in the roof space!!!! Fortunately she turned up safe and sound, but it might be an idea to check that the cage is securely fastened at all times and if you use those exercise ball things that he / she is never left unattended.

shed hobbit

• Not So New ...
  • Friends together
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 21:31:49 »
Seriously would recommend Rats as a pet, they're very clean easy to feed eat all your left overs and are very friendly. Hamsters tend to be nocternal so get grumpy if disturbed during the day.Can also be trained to respond to their names. Suggest you don't feed them meat, much as they enjoy it, it can make them a bit smelly and sometimes causes them to bite, seems they're not fussy where the meat comes from!!
Dancing with gnomes make you giddy

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 00:24:02 »

After that event I was cleaning the tank out and replacing the sawdust and I thought I had collected all of the gerbs but one of them was still in the tank.  Suffice to say that gerbils and dyson's don't mix  :o

She was ok though; got stuck in the end of it because of her big bum!  ;D

You hoovered up your gerbil..... :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D
Not as bad as my ex next door neighbour, she had to take her hoover to the dump after she accidentally hoovered up her cat's poo present under her kitchen table, it caked all the tubes and stank to high heaven.... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 09:51:56 »
Years ago a friend of mine lost her pet hamster somewhere in her flat. Couldn't find it anywhere.  Boy did the bloke downstairs get a fright whilst watching tv when this little furry critter popped out from behind his fireplace!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 15:29:59 »
You were right Louise the little bugger bit the OH last night :'(, I did laugh :D  don't think she was too pleased though.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-X

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 16:22:15 »
My kids had LOADS of hamsters and yes- the boys were more friendly.
However you need to make sure yours is handled for hours each day to get her used to being handled. The problem is that breeders don't tend to handle them and then they stay in pet shops unhandled for weeks.
No-wonder the poor things get independant and worried as they get older.
As I said...HOURS of handling should do the trick. Best way is to get her running from one hand to the next over the palms of your hands. The kids can take it in turns sat infront of the tv.
If she stops, then she may bite to sample the skin to see if it's edible ( esp if the kids have held food before handling her)
Get them to wash their hands before and after handling her as they can carry salmonella.
A hamster which bites will soon become ignored by the kids and that would be unfair.
Having said all that, they do make wonderful pets and I'm sure with loads of attention she'll be lovely.
Don't buy her a companion though as she'll defend herself.
Have fun!! ;) ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 20:15:36 »
Cheers Tin but OH's not to keen on the handling bit at the moment.   ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal