Produce > Edible Plants

Monty Don + growing spuds in bags ......

(1/2) > >>

allotment_chick:
...can anybody help with the details?  I missed the first programme, but saw the results - they were LOADS better than what I achieved up the lottie (which was no edible potates, well fed slugs and not much else  :(

Presumably you can do any type of potatoes? Ta in advance for your help
AC x

tim:
Don't know but, presumably, any container and any pot?

But earlies would be the most attractive??

I think there has been quite a bit on this if you look back?? = Tim

philcooper:
Have a look at www.hhdra.org.uk/potcult.htm (Method E) Basically you just plant them on a covering of compost at the bottom of the largest container you can (12" pot is the minimum) a black bin liner is what Monty used.

Cover with 2-4" compost and as the shoots emerge keep covering the stems up until the container is full.

The advantage of a poly bag is that you can harvest the tubers from the bottom upwards as they become the right size.

Garden news has an article this week suggesting starting some earlies off now They show 3 tubers in a pot that looks to be about 12" which is probably a bit too much ( 1 or at most 2) and keeping them in a frost free greenhouse or conservatory to get some really early spuds.

Phil

aquilegia:
I'm growing mine in containers - old compost bags. I'll put one in each 20-litre bag, with the sides rolled down and gradually roll up the sides and fill with more compost as necessary. Hope it works anyway!

philcooper:
aquilegia,

That sounds just the job - and involves recycling.

Go to the top of the class and give out the pencils, as my old mum says

:) :) :) :) :)

Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version