Author Topic: Topping up the pond???  (Read 3954 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Topping up the pond???
« on: May 27, 2004, 17:17:04 »
Can anyone advise if it is safe to top up the water levels of my pond.  (I know that I am tempting a change in the weather now) We have had relatively little rain in the last week or so and the level has dropped quite a bit.  I did think that I would just leave the hose pipe on trickle into the bog garden and let the gentle overflow fill up the pond.... Any ideas?????
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Topping up the pond???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 18:38:22 »
Hi Mimi,

I think you'll probably find that most people will recommend you treat the water first, to get rid of the chlorine, flouride etc. before putting it into the pond.  I may be wrong but was of the impression that it generally takes a couple of days for these heavy metals to be removed naturally and so depending upon how long you think it may take for the water from the bog garden to actually get into the pond, it may well be ok.

I to am having similar problems with losing water, despite living in "rainy" city, we've not seen a drop in the last two weeks and I'm constantly topping up.  I have a water butt which holds approx 250 litres which was full at the end of April.  I was hoping it would last well into summer but when I looked earlier today there was about 20 litres left!! So much for the best laid plans hey!!!

Good luck

Tony

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 20:09:49 »
Hi Tony and Mimi.

When i top my ponds up(fish ponds) I let the hose drip into the pond very slowly,and move it about so that small amounts only go into one place.This is for a relatively small top up.However,if it needs a lot of water I do add a dechlorinator.It all depends on how big your pond is to start with,as you know,mine are large.However ,for my nature pond I always take the water from my fish pond.Obviously rain water is best,but you cannot go wrong if you always use a dechlorinator anyway.
Margaret

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 20:25:39 »
See I knew it would happen.  I only had to mention the fact that we have little rain and the clouds appear.   :( Anyway, my pond doesnt have any fish in and so far the planting is a little immature.  I just thought that if I kind of 'filtered' the water through the bog garden at the top of the pond this would make the water a little safer to use.  Thanks for the helpful advice. ;)

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 13:49:30 »
Wow. I normally need to issue the barbecue invites to guarantee rain.....

If you have a water butt, then an ordinary aquarium pump with the airstone at the bottom of the butt will deal with chlorine. Water from your hot water system (unheated, of course) will be less chlorinated than that from the rising main as it has stood in the header tank - more use for an aquarium than a pond, I know, but a useful standby in case of leaks etc.
Sumer is a coming in....

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 13:56:32 »
Clouds came, but still no rain :-\  Might even have to resort to the sprinkler soon.  Still, has given me a chance to do a bit of tidying in the garden with other half.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 16:50:48 »
Mental picture - OH in wheelbarrow race position, legs firmly grasped by Mimi, chewing off various weeds / long stems on lawn etc. as she "hoovers" him back and forth ....
Sumer is a coming in....

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 21:02:09 »
 :o ;D :o O M G Gil where you watching.... ;D

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 16:54:52 »
Wonder if anyone can give me some advice.  I have had my pond, at the allotment, for 3 years now and the water has always been crystal clear but over the last week or so, it has gone a bracken colour.  Green I could have coped with but bracken!!! I haven't any idea what to do.  All the fish seem well. the frogs are in abundance and I even saw a baby newt last week.
Chloe:)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 21:56:25 »
2000gal pond. I just empty 10% and fill with hose now and then but generally I water garden with pond water and use hoe to fill pond back up. this helps the pond in as much as periodic water changes but never treat the water, never had any problems. apart from dead fish(just kidding) Mainly Koi in pond which are fairly big and probably got good immune systems by now.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 10:24:53 »
I'm more au fait with tanks than ponds, but that seems sensible to me. We actually used to trade water - soft Birmingham water going south for certain species like Discus, hard London water coming to the Midlands for others like livebearers. Most cold water fish can tolerate a wide variety of water types, but watch out if you have american species - some can't take most tapwater, because they need soft, acid water, and even soft tap water in this country tends to be neutralised, as it attacks any old lead piping, and can thus be dangerous
Sumer is a coming in....

SueM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 22:31:50 »
I top up my pond with ordinary water whenever it gets a bit low. The fish and tadpoles and newts don't seem to mind at all.

The water goes bracken coloured sometimes and it is a problem to deal with as most algae treatments are for green water. Focus seems is the only place I've found that sells stuff for brown water - can't remember what it's called, I'm afraid.

Sue

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal