Author Topic: Dead seeds  (Read 1924 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Dead seeds
« on: September 28, 2007, 08:42:58 »
I just spotted this in the Times. I can't say I'm surprised.

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/gardens/article2547622.ece

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Dead seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:04:03 »
Thanks for posting that Robert. Interesting to see T&M doing well... Now, how can we get the full report?

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:24:54 »
Thats interesting!! I thought it was only carrot and parsnip that were short lived!!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:36:26 »
Very interesting reading. Maybe that explains why none of the four packets of parsnips, two packets of pansies or two packets of buzzie lizzies germinated  ::)

Lauren  ::)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 19:25:38 »
For a couple of years now, I have pre-germinated most seeds in a damp cloth inside plastic bags in the airing cupboard, because I have had so many failures when sown directly into ground or pots. I haven't done the sums, but there are always a few (or a lot) that never sprout. If a proportion of seeds in the packet sprout and grow on healthily when put into gutters or pots or open ground, then there must be something wrong with the rest.

There are problems with this method, especially early in the year, when time constraints or weather make it impossible to get the sprouted seeds into soil until too late (roots tangled and snapping off when handled). The advantages outweigh the problems, in my opinion, and save all that frustration when you have sown a long row of something, watched it keenly, and found nothing happening, or scrappy groups of seedlings.

It also eliminates thinning out seedlings, which I hate doing, and is ultimately more economical.

powerspade

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 04:32:07 »
When I began gardening I used to buy Carters Seeds in our local greengrocers until they closed. After which I went over to Ryder's Seeds, they where brilliant, first class services and fresh seeds. They where taken over by Sutton's and wow did I notice a big difference Poor germination at very high prices,and poor service. I have tried a few suppliers on the net but now I going to see If I can save as much of my own seed as possible

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 23:16:26 »
Carters Seeds can be found in Poundstretcher - not sure of the germination rate but at least they're cheap.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal