Author Topic: End of season tips from Newbies  (Read 2615 times)

chrispea27

• Acre
Re: End of season tips from Newbies
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 07:16:37 »
always use new seed for carrots any old seed does not germinate -new seed has no probs watch for the dreaded carrot fly!!
Chris Pea

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 11:40:59 »
My tips

Don't worry about couch grass - it kept me awake at night - but the end is in sight!!!!!!!

Enjoy eating all your lovely veg - I've hardly been down the veg aisles in months.  Plus I am gobsmacked today at the price of leeks!!!! :o  I made some lovely soup last night with some of mine!

Rope your children in - weeding is FUN - Honestly!!!! ;D

Keep om digging!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 13:26:23 »
ah, love these quiz type questions  ;D
- plant sweetcorn next year! even though the seeds are expensive!
- sow gradually over a long space of time.
- yes, label everything, I can't remember half of what I have sown.
- tie up raspberries next year.
- do much more hoeing in spring as soon as the weed seedlings come up - saves a lot of work later on!
- find out more about potato varieties and plant earlies then maincrops over a period of time.
- find a source of manure, which I still haven't managed.
- build a cold frame so I can put my baby plants on the lottie and not all over my flat!!!
- keep using my tarpaulins to smother weedy areas before planting, despite the odd looks from the neighbours.
- stop talking about my garden all the time, as it drives other people crazy ha ha ha
- get more pics on my blog!

Hope everyone has enjoyed their first year as much as I have (and my harvest was absolute c**p because of the 3 months of rain we had here  >:(
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 15:13:07 »
Oh I know ... I'm NOT a Newbie ...  ::) ;D

... but KEEP A JOURNAL ... they are wonderful to refer to and if you put in enough detail you will remember what you sowed, when you sowed it, and how it compared to other years  :o !!  ;)

Flo x  :-*
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Shelle

• Not So New ...
  • Cramlington, Northumberland
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 21:58:07 »
For those of us who grow in containers only, my biggest lesson is to water well!  Sounds daft when we had lots of rain, but on the days we didnt, I thought they would be ok due to the amount of rain previously!  Of course, I soon discovered they need plenty of water as they dry out extremely fast!

Second lesson learnt was to sow thinly in the first place!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 22:00:06 »
Thanks flo, that's such good advice, and something i fully intended to do this year, but it got left behind (like a lot of our seed sowing  ::) ) but thanks for the reminder, it's something i'm definately going to restart for next year  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal