Author Topic: Nigella  (Read 7550 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Nigella
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2007, 10:25:33 »
How about the originals, Fanny and Johnny Craddock?
I don't think she had a hair and makeup artist working for her  :-*

Lauren  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Matizzy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 10:31:50 »
The trouble is, her recipes (Nigellas) are often really nice but I think she's become a parody of herself but one step too far.

Love Rick Stein - in fact, our dog is called Chalky in memory of the old Chalkmeister.  Can't stand Gary Rhodes though.  Delia is very mumsy but again, some good solid recipes and taught a lot of us to cook I guess.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2007, 10:51:02 »
I was annoyed to find Nigella's books actually really good, I wasn't fond of her on TV at all, too 'Yummy Mummy'....'Oh it's taken me longer to put my lipstick on before dinner than make this dish...' However, I use her books esp. 'How to Eat' more than any others, it's split up into very user friendly sections and all the recipes I've tried have been great, OH particularly likes her famous 'Ham in Coca cola'........! :o

Hugh FW's 'Meat' book is also a gem, and he wins me over with his sheer enthusiasm for food on TV. Everyone else?  :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 10:59:49 »

Hugh FW's 'Meat' book is also a gem, and he wins me over with his sheer enthusiasm for food on TV. Everyone else?  :-\

Oh yes! HFW's books changed my life - he's one of the main reasons I've got an allotment, and the meat book made me look VERY closely at the way I shopped. And the tv shows are hugely entertaining as well.

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2007, 11:03:24 »
i actually love nigella, shes fabulous!
HFW is pretty cool too tho.
i dont like delia, i kinda get the feeling she thinks we're all stupid.
can't stand gary rhodes either.
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2007, 11:46:56 »
Chalky is no longer with us????
When did this happen, and how did I miss it! :'( :'( :'(
Will have to break the news to my girls, they will be sad.

I love Hugh Fearnley Whatsit, and Fanny n Johnny were a riot!
Floyd is a definite fave, and who was the chap I used to watch as a kid that always had a glass of vino in his hand whilst cooking? Can see his face but cannot remember his name. (70's  hair & garb) He is probably the main reason I love to cook......and drink wine! (indoctrinated as a child see!)
Mary Berry is always a good one for basic tasty recipes.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2007, 11:55:59 »
Thank God there's a choice?

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 11:59:22 »
Thank God there's a choice?

Absolutely Tim - would be a very boring world if there wasn't.

Oh and Doris - is that the Galloping Gormet you're thinking of? I remember watching him on tv when I was a kid!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 12:05:11 »
YES YES! Thanks Rob, was driving me mad! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 12:17:24 »
Aussie. The quickest Onion slicer in the trade?

Am I wrong, or do most people criticise rather than praise?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:21:51 by tim »

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 12:41:27 »
Rick Stein, who clearly loves his food and isn't afraid to admit to being a miserable old so-and-so, and enthuses about the importance of quality and source.
Huge Whirly Fingerstall for sheer entertainment and inspiration for trying different things out of your own back yard.

Nigella..........  the triumph of style over substance.

I think it's a Good Life thing, Tom and Barbara versus Margo ;D ;D!
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2007, 13:02:13 »
and who was the chap I used to watch as a kid that always had a glass of vino in his hand whilst cooking? Can see his face but cannot remember his name. (70's  hair & garb) He is probably the main reason I love to cook......and drink wine! (indoctrinated as a child see!)
Mary Berry is always a good one for basic tasty recipes.

Was it Graham Kerr - The Galloping Gourmet from NZ? Very different now  - recovering alcoholic and health fiend.

I love HFW's  Pork Donnie Brasco - the one you put in the oven and 'forgedda aboudit'.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2007, 16:03:55 »

Ching He-Huang is useless and i have only ever tried on recipie and it failed misrably!! I looked into this further and shes not a chef in fact she only got a show as she was demonstrating food her company made!!

Racheal Allen i agree i cant stand her and she only got her show as her monther is a famous cheff and she married one so used to help on his show when they divorced she got her own show!!

Ah, that makes sense. I knew there was something behind their success! ;D

Yeah, I love Rick Stein and Keith Floyd. Their enthusiasm is totally infectious. I also think Ken Hom is very good. It's a bit sad that there aren't many young cooks who are capable and likeable.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 16:12:42 »
Yes I think that the 'Galloping Gourmet' was a kiwi he was certainly on our screens a lot it's a wonder he was still standing at the end of a show....never heard of Delia until I came here. I think you also got 'Hudson and Hall' over here. Our NZ Delia was a lady called 'Alison Holst'.

Matizzy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2007, 21:09:35 »
Chalky is no longer with us????
When did this happen, and how did I miss it! :'( :'( :'(
Will have to break the news to my girls, they will be sad.

Yup, fraid so.  I think they just mentioned it in passing a couple of series ago.

Got another one here going free to a good home if you want him  ;D ;D ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2007, 21:59:32 »
I think there was a tribute to Chalky in the first programme in Rick Stein's last series. I know he was too old too go on the French canal series.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2007, 08:52:52 »
The best tribute to Chalky is a rather fine beer devised by Rick Stein in association with a small Cornish brewery. Called something like Chalky's Ale, it's very good! Have raised a glass in honour of the wee doggy on several occasions...

Cheers,
Rob ;)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2007, 09:31:49 »
Spent an hour in Waterstones trying to find a cook book for our daughter,there was a selection for students all of which
belong in the bin.However one cook/writer stood head and shoulders above all others - Nigel Slater.
As for Nigella ,have you seen her on the front of GH ? cooking in that dress  the dry cleaning would cost more than the ingedients.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2007, 16:07:59 »
Rick Stein's programs are always entertaining as you say his enthusiasm carries you with it - I really did not like the empty plate with knife and fork on the France series, good to start with but ended up driving me made :P and of course Floyd! what programs he used to make I think he was a trail blazer I always remember Floyd on Fish and I'm a vegetarian!
This thread has been a real treat thanks for starting it Doris_Pinks

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2007, 19:34:41 »
Leave  Nigella alone she is a beautiful curvy woman who can cook my dinner any time........  and give me afters

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal