Author Topic: Nigella  (Read 7549 times)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Nigella
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 13:15:27 »
Delia taught me how to cook when I left home.  I couldn't watch her programs, but the book was a godsend.  Nigella - posh & smug, can't abide her
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 13:16:25 »
Absolutely crying with laughter at this thread  ;D  ;D.  Funniest thing I've read in ages. And I thought it was going to be about flowers lol!

I can't bring myself to dislike Nigella too much...though that feels slightly wrong somehow!  I am greatly amused at the way she troughs at the meals she makes...I'm sure they probably overdub the snarfing, snorting, chomping sounds. I wondered if she'd just pick the plate up and suck it all up if they'd allow it.  

"No Nigella...put the plate down. Knife and fork please,there's a good girl."

As for her recipes...what about Marco Pierre White with his brown sauce and worcester sauce concoctions?There you go...a supermarket version, just wack it all over Nigella,s grub and bob's your unc. Fusion food init?!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 13:26:10 »
But Heldi, can you see yourself coming home from the deli with a pound of fresh white crab meat  to slap on some rocket to feed your OH?   How much would that cost even where you are with crabs fresh caught?   And can you see him surviving on an 8th share of a kilo of steak and a bit of salad?    It looked suspiciously like Italian tagliata to me but she didn't mention that.

She does admit to being greedy but after the second or third time it's not endearing and yes, she does trough.   I find I'm starting to be more interested in where she gets dresses to fit that boobs and bum formation (being curvy myself) and how she gets her hair to stay curled all day - or not.  Must have a hair and make up person to hand all the time. 

That sort of wondering never afflicts me during real cookery programmes - or real gardening programmes either come to think.
Obxx - Vendée France

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 13:42:13 »
You are totally right Obby!  I couldn't see myself anywhere near the crab meat in our local fishmonger never mind a posh deli... asda crab paste sarnies morelike  :D (Eeew I feel sick now for even thinking of that!)

I have been totally distracted by her eating. Perhaps a little obsessed. I would have got the back of my knuckles rapped off my Dad if I'd eaten in such a fashion!
I have wondered about her hair. Its not real!!!!!!
Clothes...I think two pieces made out of that slinky stretchy stuff,with a cardi over the top.
I quite like her pans  ;D

Yes I can't say I am engrossed in the cooking either.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 13:42:35 »
HI

I am not a fan of nigella, although i think delias mumsyness ment i did not really enjoy her programs either in fact i dont own one of her books. (i have used some recipies off the net) for for insparation i prefer Bill Granger and we have all his books and even one signed Next it would have to be Pru Leigh as her bible gets pulled out at least once a week, followed by Gary Rhodes, Jamie and James martin.

Hubbie would also list Elizabeth David up there with Bill and when hes looking for something new he will go back to her books which are more story orientated rather than a standard recipie book. And he is a big fan of Hesten but i think his recipies are a little OTT.

Did you know that james martin has had a kitchen garden the program is call james martin digs deep (http://uktv.co.uk/food/homepage/sid/5471) and i think it was on before jamies allotment fun.

Cambourne7

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 13:54:26 »
Louise I watched that series. Beautiful walled garden with raised beds, (not jealous one bit  ::)). Greenhouse with coldframes attached outside, which probably cost more than the average house. With all the TV progs and County shows he does, that man never grew any of that stuff. He has his own gardener I bet.

Lauren  :(
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 14:04:47 »
not sure about that he did grow up on a farm, he did say that he had help a couple of hours a week when he was busy with book launches etc but then jamie has a fill time gardener and 2 polly tunnels as well as a greenhouse!!

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 14:25:40 »
I struggle to find a celebrity chef I actually like but I must say I like how Nigella eats. :D It's nice to see somebody who is so passionate about something and can't care less about how she looks while she stuffs her face! However I do agree that she shouldn't have bought a load of deli stuff on the programme. ::)

Oh, I just remembered my favourite cook - Madhur Jaffrey. I read most of her books and all her recipes are brilliant. I quite like Bill Granger's recipes too.

I can't stand James Martin,  Ed Bains, Ching He-Huang, Rachael Allen etc... In my opinion they shouldn't be called a professional cook!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 14:34:01 »
I struggle to find a celebrity chef I actually like but I must say I like how Nigella eats. :D It's nice to see somebody who is so passionate about something and can't care less about how she looks while she stuffs her face! However I do agree that she shouldn't have bought a load of deli stuff on the programme. ::)

Oh, I just remembered my favourite cook - Madhur Jaffrey. I read most of her books and all her recipes are brilliant. I quite like Bill Granger's recipes too.

I can't stand James Martin,  Ed Bains, Ching He-Huang, Rachael Allen etc... In my opinion they shouldn't be called a professional cook!

Ching He-Huang is useless and i have only ever tried on recipie and it failed misrably!! I looked into this further and shes not a chef in fact she only got a show as she was demonstrating food her company made!!

Racheal Allen i agree i cant stand her and she only got her show as her monther is a famous cheff and she married one so used to help on his show when they divorced she got her own show!!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 15:02:13 »
Delia's good for every day stuff and I know a few less confident cooks who swear by her for success every time but for pure reading enjoyment with recipes as a bonus it has to be Jane Grigson or Elizabeth David for me.   I also like the Two Fat Ladies recipes - proper hearty grub and no nonsense with stacks or twiddles for presentation.   Other than that I tend to wing things and only use recipes for cakes and muffins that rely on fairly exact measures to work.

I do enjoy watching cookery programmes for inspiration though Nigella will be joining the Hairy Bikers, Ready Steady Cook and Ainsley Harriet in the "don't bother again" list.   
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 15:08:04 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 15:03:38 »

I'm just amazed he could take his eyes off her tits and bum!!

valmarg

So am I, I've watched a few shows and haven't managed to look at the food once! Sorry, I'll get me coat...

But yes, she is rather irritating. And even more so when you know that her perfect house is actually a mock-up in a warehouse somewhere off Hangar Lane! :o

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 15:30:09 »
Off with Nigella's head - she doesn't even make her own Thai Green Curry paste  :o

In my University days I relied on Katie Stewart - "The Times Calendar Cookbook", sort of pre-Delia but expecting a little more ability.

I really like Simon Hopkinson's "Roast Chicken and other Stories" or just about anything by Nigel Slater but of course nothing compares to our very own A4A recipe forum :)

Currently reading Locatelli's massive book (500pp) - a lucky friend got given two copies so passed one on to me!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 17:58:46 »
 :) this programme is the best comedy on the box at the moment,

unmissable!/ shades x
grow your own way

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 18:22:07 »
I got one of her books on Cakes out of the library. There were some great cakes in it but I wouldn't bother buying the book because to make the cakes you'd have to buy about 20 different types of cake tins. A proper cook would would have standardised her sizes. But then she's got lots of money to buy them and a big kitchen to keep them in I guess.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 19:21:10 »
I got one of her books on Cakes out of the library. There were some great cakes in it but I wouldn't bother buying the book because to make the cakes you'd have to buy about 20 different types of cake tins. A proper cook would would have standardised her sizes. But then she's got lots of money to buy them and a big kitchen to keep them in I guess.

And a range of said multiple cake tins and other stuff in debenhams.....

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 19:41:42 »
What a surprise!!!!
Anyway I find her too irritating to watch - I suppose all that jittering around is meant to make us think she is SOOOOOO busy.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2007, 22:26:38 »
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh   have I touched a nerve or 6??? ;D
Sitting here trying to think of any TV chefs I actually enjoy watching these days, and have to say, I do love a bit of Rick Stein! (even tho now allergic to fish!!!)
I find his enthusiam great! (though am sure a few or more will disagree!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 22:28:23 »
Love Rick Stein - but still getting over the loss of Chalky [and I don't really like dogs!!!!]

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 22:59:09 »
I used to like watching Ken Hom but he doesn't seem to get airtime these days  :'(
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2007, 10:19:32 »
How about Keith Floyd?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal