Author Topic: Can I compost.....  (Read 1513 times)

gerbera

• Half Acre
Can I compost.....
« on: September 26, 2007, 13:52:53 »
Can I compost plants & compost which suffered with grey mould? And what about blighted plants/compost?

I will be covering the lot with some lovely fresh horse manure, so it will get to a reasonable temperature. Are the spores just airborne, or will they survive the composting process?

Just hate to think of so much compostable material going to waste!

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Re: Can I compost.....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 13:58:55 »
Hi Creckless.  Personally, I wouldn't compost diseased material.  But there is bound to be someone out there who knows for sure. 

Twinkletoes

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 20:44:14 »
depends on how 'hot' your compost bins get - if so, then that'll kill off almost anything, especially if left for a considerable time

with blight you really have to know for sure if it is blight or just the result of poor growing conditions, i.e. the weather  :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:41:43 »
Blight will only survive in living tissue, so as long as nothing survives, you're OK. I've never had potatoes come out of my bins alive yet. Other fungi could do better in a heap, I don't know.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:28:42 »
I wouldn't compost any diseased material at all . I would burn it ..
 I think  you risk perpetuating the problems you had with it this year .
Why risk contaminating good horse muck with it?
Cheers .. Jim

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47:49 »
Chuck anything blighted down the dump - or burn it.  Mildew should be ok - as long as you have a hot heap.  I put any questionable stuff on a seperate heap at the top of my allotment, I am sort of building a bank as it's next to the boundary and I plan to put pumpkins there one day.  As it's not where i'll grow veg, I feel it'll be ok!  But if in doubt- leave it out!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 16:55:28 »
Ok...I have made a decision.

I shall put the dodgy material in just one compost bin, and the contents of this bin will not be used where potatoes/tomatoes etc will be grown.

I intend to use the finished contents as soil improvement for my bean and lettuce area for next year.

Its a bit of a compromise....and I hope I won't regret it next year....but I think it should be fine. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal