Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 855794 times)

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6260 on: October 16, 2012, 23:41:22 »
In the end I had 50 lb of assorted winter squash from one bed. I put the second planting of garlic today - Carcasonne Wight, a hardneck. I have one more variety to plant still and will do that in the next two or three days, weather permitting. I've been planting the large cloves 9 inches apart, the smaller ones 6 inches.
After reading Joy Larkcom's comments on garlic planting, I planted them 4 inches down in low ridges.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6261 on: October 21, 2012, 17:49:35 »
Still digging up spuds, Cara, Sante and Desire, also harvested spicy salad leaves, beetroot, cabbages and last of the French Beans.   :toothy10:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
« Reply #6262 on: October 21, 2012, 21:02:33 »
Far too wet today, it hasn't stopped raining but got a third planting of garlic in yesterday. 4 bulbs of Provence Wight g
ave me about 27 evenly fat cloves. I now have Early
Purple, Carcassone and Provence planted 4" and more deep under low ridges around 9" apart each way, altogether 4' x 14' with bunches of pulled up phacelia in the troughs between the ridges as a sort of mulch. I also sowed about 40 Aquadulce Claudia broad beans in toilet roll tubes to germinate safely before planting out later. I sprinkled some mycorhizal (sp?) dust over them first; not tried it before though I get it with my pine bonsai.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6263 on: October 23, 2012, 11:06:55 »
Still digging up spuds, Cara, Sante and Desire, also harvested spicy salad leaves, beetroot, cabbages and last of the French Beans.   :toothy10:

Pleased it's not just me - I've 1/2 a row of spuds sat sitting there awaiting attention..... if the slugs haven't had the lot.

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
« Reply #6264 on: October 23, 2012, 23:53:36 »
Today I pulled up my main bed of phacelia as I expect it will be cut down by frost before long and created a compost heap with it and sunflower stalks and ragged bits of pumpkin foliage and some weeds. I will supplement it with grass cuttings when it gets a bit dryer. We picked some more raspberries and we belatedly took the netting off the new strawberry bed so I can trim off the old leaves and weed it a bit. We had a couple of Mara des Bois from a pot near the house two days ago. I dug over a patch to get ready for some autumn broad beans but they wont be planted out for a week or two.
Also today I got four massive elephant garlic cloves that I ordered and paid for this summer at the Norfolk Show. I'd begun to think I'd been forgotten. It was from Delma's. Anyone come across her? She has been at the Norfolk Show a few times now. I got several other useful exotics from her too.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6265 on: October 24, 2012, 00:00:40 »
Scrubbed algae off arbor; hope to repaint this week.
Pulled up more English ivy and started cleaning out the veg. garden and flower bed.
Am I stiff?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6266 on: October 25, 2012, 08:43:36 »
Pulled beansticks, harvested rocket, cress, lettuce and carrots.  Too waterlogged to do much else.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #6267 on: October 25, 2012, 19:38:44 »
Cut down a number of roses,collected 4 black sacks of leaves for leaf mould,pulled up my non bearing Tasmanian Chocolate and Dwarf Mr Snow tomato plants and planted up trays of Hollyhocks and Cornflower Blue Diadem for overwintering.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6268 on: October 25, 2012, 20:19:48 »
Cleard all the wildflowers, cut down some more tomatoes and the rest of the beans, Ray's in the middle of digging out the compost bins and has mulched up 2 beds so far ad covered them up. brought some of the green peppers home to see if I can ripen them, covered the geranium cuttings in the big greenhouse with some fleece against the cold  :happy7:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6269 on: October 26, 2012, 19:43:18 »
Cut back dead and unwanted foilage on garden tommies hoping to get the last 20 or so to ripen.   :coffee2:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #6270 on: October 27, 2012, 02:13:37 »
Yesterday, I finished planting daffodil and narcissus in my spring cutting bed.  I finished digging over a small bed, which had had a three sisters planting on it (disaster).  I trimmed edges, scattered over some BFB and decided to cover it down, until I read an article on overwintering peas.  Hmmm, why not give it a go I thought, and am going to hoik out cloches and fleece toot sweet (English version, can't spell the French)  I picked my runner bean wigwam clean, some for seed, some nice young ones for eating.  Having already planted garlic and onions under fleece, took a peek, nothing doing yet. Didn't have time to finally sort strawbs, i.e. cut down foliage, good weed and feed (next time)  Harvested Kale.  Pulled first of my Guernsey parsnips.   What a shock!  Either thin, long (10 ins) specimens, but already rusted, or babies, hardly fit for the pot.  Think I'll wait a while.  Mega tidy up (what do you do with weeds, I am overwhelmed), and deadheaded last of the cosmos, gailliardas, statice on cuttings bed, and pulled out all the sweet peas, boohoo.  Knackered still.  Rested today

Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Rallychef

• Not So New ...
  • Greystoke, Cumbria
« Reply #6271 on: October 27, 2012, 16:54:57 »
This morning I joined around 50 other villagers to plant 8000 daffodil bulbs around the village verges as a lasting tribute for the jubilee , then thanks to the WI finished off with soup and a roll, tea and cake in the village hall. Well done all in Greystoke, Roll on spring

regards Ian D

100mph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6272 on: October 27, 2012, 18:44:41 »
Still picking runner beans, and more to come as long as the frost stays away although things are noticeably slowing down now. Mercifully courgettes are slowing down too but I saw fresh flowers on them today. Started turning over soil to generally clear up for winter. I need to cut the grass but my little hand-push cylinder mower just does not handle wet grass at all well. Cleared away squashes now I've harvested them. Plenty of leaves to rake up but plenty more to fall too.
My Suffolk allotment is a fine example of 'how not to do it'.
Muddling through with excessive effort for minimal return from 4 rods since 2008.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #6273 on: October 27, 2012, 18:59:31 »
Mowed mine and the neighbours grass at the plot today and the main service path,pulled up Marigold's courgettes and took down my three wigwams had a really good tidy up and did a little digging. :happy7:

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6274 on: October 27, 2012, 20:04:29 »
Weeded the paths
Mowed the grass at the front of the plot
Painted grease on my young fruit trees
Pulled some carrots
Removed the bottom leaves from my brussel sprouts
Tidied the shed
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
« Reply #6275 on: October 27, 2012, 23:30:53 »
Planted my precious 4 Elephant garlic cloves. They went in a generous 18 inches apart, on top of a deep hole filled with garden compost and well covered by a small mound. Just in case the shoot was tempted to venture out the side of the mound, I made a little cup sized depression in the centre. When the shoot appears I can earth it up a little. I bought some sulphate of potash to nurture it and all the other garlics in February.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6276 on: October 30, 2012, 12:06:07 »
Inspected the greenhouse and decided I really must get in there the next time it rains to pull up the latest crop of mares tail but at least the bramble has gone (for now!)

Smiled at the trailing violas that are developing well and waiting to go into wall baskets for the spring.

If it dries off enough I might just give the lawns one last (?) cut before winter.

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
« Reply #6277 on: November 08, 2012, 17:13:45 »
Two weeks on and my garlics are starting to peek out of the ground.
I picked the last courgettes, harvested some ruby chard, picked a few chrysanthemums, pulled some more fly blown carrots.
My broad beans sown in tubes are peeking out and I just sowed 60 or so field beans - Wizard from Real Seeds. I coated them in inoculant and used a mixture of deep root trainers, toilet roll card tubes and home made newspaper pots. I will see which works best.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6278 on: November 08, 2012, 19:13:50 »
Checked everything, all last year's sweet pea seeds are poking their heads up. Went for 10 bags of mushroom compost for the reedy feeders in the poly next year, got them for 1.25, usually 2.00 per bag but they were the last  :toothy10:

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6279 on: November 09, 2012, 23:40:27 »
I dug this up...circumference 16"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal